Honored Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Had A Reaction To The New Pneumonia Vaccine?

@KailaS wrote:

Just got the shot early this a.m.  Because I am a cancer patient, my doctor urged me to get the shot but made me wait four weeks after the flu shot to get the new pneumonia shot.  ( I had the old shot at the end of 2012.). I ran a low- grade fever today-- almost unheard of for me-- and have a sore spot at the injection sight.  I do not usually react to shots (shingles shot is in four more weeks), so I am not anticipating any real problems going forward.

I sure hope you don't have any more problems with it, Kaila!  Maybe those of us with immune issues react with fever at times.

Kaila, I wish you the very best while beating cancer.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Regular Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@redbird wrote:

I had what was called an allergic reaction to the shot. My arm turned a very deep red from my elbow to my shoulder and was very painful for almost a week.

That's some reaction!  I hope you're OK now.  I had one like that to the flu shot this year.  Then it got really itchy.  I used Sarna, I wish that stuff didn't have such a strong odor.

I am fine now, but I am glad I won't need that vaccine again...

Respected Contributor

I got my flu shot a week ago.  And this Tuesday evening had the New Pneumonia Vaccine.  

Well, that Pneumonia Vaccine hurt...(I never complain about getting shots / needles). It  felt a little like getting a cortisone shot.  My husband said "I told you it hurt, for he got his last week".

Anyway, late Wednesday evening (last night)  my arm was hurting and sore.  Here I roll up my sleeve of my blouse and there is a huge red welt...I am talking big...My husband goes, "Oh S--- you had an allergic reaction".  I told him to take a picture with my phone.  I have to call my doctor Thursday AM.  

Plus, they are saying I have to get a booster shot for the old Pneumonia Vaccine but I have to wait 6 months  for the insurance to pay for it?  Nuts?  

I have had Pneumonia so many times and each time I get it is worst than the last.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had my shot on Wednesday (11/14).  My arm hurt more than I've ever experienced with any other shot, but tolerable, for sure.  Then on Monday (11/19) I notice a red blotch on my arm in the area of the shot.  It was mildly itchy from time to time.  However, the blotch got larger and larger.  Not a welt, just a very large red blotch.  Whenever it would itch, I took a benadryl.  It's starting to fade now.  (I've never had a reaction to any other shots I've received).  I was kind of surprised that it took a few days for a reaction to occur.  But not a major issue for me, fortunately.

(Want to add that I'm referring to the booster shot...not the original pneumonia shot, which I got several years ago).

Esteemed Contributor

I had my new Pneumonia vaccine in August at my doctor's office.  Absolutely no reaction.  The only vaccine I've had a reaction to so far was the shingles vaccine, and that was a red welt on my arm.  That said, I've avoided the "senior" flu shot and have continued to get just the regular flu vaccine because I've read/heard of so many people having reactions to the senior one.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@Bellabutterfly wrote:

I got my flu shot a week ago.  And this Tuesday evening had the New Pneumonia Vaccine.  

Well, that Pneumonia Vaccine hurt...(I never complain about getting shots / needles). It  felt a little like getting a cortisone shot.  My husband said "I told you it hurt, for he got his last week".

Anyway, late Wednesday evening (last night)  my arm was hurting and sore.  Here I roll up my sleeve of my blouse and there is a huge red welt...I am talking big...My husband goes, "Oh S--- you had an allergic reaction".  I told him to take a picture with my phone.  I have to call my doctor Thursday AM.  

Plus, they are saying I have to get a booster shot for the old Pneumonia Vaccine but I have to wait 6 months  for the insurance to pay for it?  Nuts?  

I have had Pneumonia so many times and each time I get it is worst than the last.

I'm so sorry to hear that, Bella!  DH and I had it once, together, and it really knocks it out of you. 

I hope the new vaccine helps.

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I had my shot on Wednesday (11/14).  My arm hurt more than I've ever experienced with any other shot, but tolerable, for sure.  Then on Monday (11/19) I notice a red blotch on my arm in the area of the shot.  It was mildly itchy from time to time.  However, the blotch got larger and larger.  Not a welt, just a very large red blotch.  Whenever it would itch, I took a benadryl.  It's starting to fade now.  (I've never had a reaction to any other shots I've received).  I was kind of surprised that it took a few days for a reaction to occur.  But not a major issue for me, fortunately.

(Want to add that I'm referring to the booster shot...not the original pneumonia shot, which I got several years ago).

Sarna helps with the itch!  That was worse than the hurt for me.

Honored Contributor

Well...

Still having fever.  From 99.5 to 101.  No virus, no coughing or sore throat.

It makes me really tired but the only thing to do is wait it out.

Respected Contributor

NoelSeven...

Please call your doctor.  When one starts running a fever and it is now 101*...It is nothing to be lax about.  It is going up not down... I know how we all hate calling the doctor, but really I think you must...Something is not right.   

Frequent Contributor

Noel I had both vaccines,flu, new pneumonia on 10/16. Next day I had low grade temp, sore arm, fatigue, I started 

tylenol until temp was normal, arm is sore but better. Fatigue is gone.  I hope you feel better. 

In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves ~ Buddha ~