Honored Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Ever Experienced a Strange Symptom

@fortune.............yes I know that but for temporary relief until she can see a doc will not be harmful.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

@makena

You're having a histamine reaction to an unknown element.  The issue here is that it could worsen, causing difficulties with breathing and other unknown reactions.

If it were me, I would get myself to a physician to address this, including labs.  Now would be good, not later.

Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

Kidney failure causes itching, I would go to the ER and have them do a urinalysis and blood work.

Since this just "popped up" in the OP, I would imagine she would have some forewarning symptoms if she had any issues with her kidneys.

One doesn't walk into an ER and request that they do a UA and blood work for kidney failure, when simply presenting with itching. They might or might not do any lab work at all, and would most likely pat her on the head and send her home with Benadryl. It's far more likely to be some type of allergy than anything else, especially in the absense of any other symptoms.

Others keep telling me to request lab work and certain tests. Who does that?  First of all, if you go to the ER (which I did at 4:30 am today) you're there to be diagnosed.  I'm not a doctor and not about to ask to have lab work and such done.  I'm totally discouraged right now.  And, this is why I dislike going to a doctor.  When I got to the ER I explained to the person at the desk what was wrong, they put me in a room and a nurse came in, explained again.  Then sat there until the doctor came in.  He said "what is going on" and I started to explain again and didn't get more than a couple sentences out and he cut me off and said "seems to me you've come in contact with something that caused this."  I have nothing on my skin anywhere -- no spots, rashes, or signs of irritation other than redness because of itching.  I asked if I could finish explaining and while telling him the entire scenario, he came to the same conclusion.  I know for a fact it is nothing I've come in contact with.  I didn't go outside  the day it started, the day before, or even three days before that.  In fact, I never went outside or came in contact with anything out of the ordinary in my house.  It just makes no sense that it comes and goes out of the blue and it gets more intense each time.  I did not sleep from 12:30 am until 4 when I finally decided I could not take it any longer and went to the ER.  Anyway, he called in a prescription for Famotidine which I have to take twice a day and Predisone 1 tablet a day for four days.  Supposedly a steriod and antihistamine although the paperwork that came with it says Prednisone is for treating ulcers, blood disease, arthritis, and a list of other things not related to anything I am feeling.  I don't like putting medication in my body when they are not sure what I have.  So essentially I'm a guinea pig.

Honored Contributor

@makena, doctors diagnose by symptoms and in some ways the laws of percentages. Treat for the thing it's most likely to be, out of the gate. And treating with a steroid & an antihistamine is a natural first step to get rid of your symptoms/discomfort.

Sometimes you never discover the cause of an allergic response. If your itching goes away with the treatment, then it most likely IS an allergic reaction of some kind. You might have eaten something that triggered it. And if there's "nothing new" in your environment or "new" food, it still could be an allergy. They know now that we can and do develop allergies as an adult to things we've never been allergic to before.

If it comes back another time, or doesn't go away, IMO then I'd ask my PCP re other possibilities, i.e. test blood sugar or A1C, liver & kidney blood work.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

In total agreement with @Moonchilde. None of us are doctors-let your doctor be the detective here.....Please get back to us and let us know....

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

Thank you all for your comments and suggesiions.  I am very tired and miserable and I wish it would stop, and it has not.  I fell asleep and woke up with my arm itching.to start.  Usually it will move all over once it gets going. Another thing is I didn't go to work today and I worry about calling in ill because we get "marks" against us every time we take time off and it's not scheduled.  After so many marks, I think it's six, you get a warning.  I have tons of time I've earned because I never take a vacation and never get sick, yet I get marked for using it.  I have enought time for close to six months worth.  I guess I'll just wait and see what happens.

Trusted Contributor

@makena I had a shampoo I was using for close to a year suddenly start making my scalp itch near the hairline. I've never had a reaction to anything in my life. I didn't have any sort of rash at all. Just really annoying itch. So it could be something you are using that you're suddenly reacting to. Laundry stuff is a good possibility.

Honored Contributor

@pigletsmom wrote:

@makena I had a shampoo I was using for close to a year suddenly start making my scalp itch near the hairline. I've never had a reaction to anything in my life. I didn't have any sort of rash at all. Just really annoying itch. So it could be something you are using that you're suddenly reacting to. Laundry stuff is a good possibility.

Companies definitely change ingredients in products. One new ingredient is all it takes if you're allergic to it.

When I turned 50, I started noticing "little" allergic reactions topically to things I'd never had issues with before, and very different, new reactions to something I knew I was allergic to, but had a surprising new & different reaction to, not the usual.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

@makena  Hang on, help will be on the way.  Do you have a primary care doctor?  That person should be solving this for you. If you don't at this time, call the emergency room and tell them you still have the symptoms after visiting.  See what they say.  I know this is very annoying and uncomfortable, but they will get to the bottom of this.  Call your primary care doctor or the ER and at least let them know.  Have you taken the medicine they gave you?  This too shall improve.

Respected Contributor

@pigletsmom but it's not just my scalp or halrline on my neck.  That's a new area.  The first few episodes did not incude the scalp.