Respected Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Ever Experienced a Strange Symptom

@dooBdoo wrote:

(She might still be online, so I'll add a notification for @pitdakota in case she has time to read and comment.)

Thanks @dooBdoo, I just saw this because of the notification.

@makena, first....I hope you were able to get some sleep and fingers crossed the itching is better today.

There are a number of medical conditions that can cause severe generalized itching of the body and it can also be caused by stress & anxiety.  You don't need to answer here...this is just for your information and for you to evaluate.  But if you have been under more stress than normal or are going through a particular time of increased anxiety....stress can cause a histamine reaction that results in itching.  So evaluate that as a potential factor.  Again, you don't have to answer here whether or not that might be something to consider as a cause or not.

I would suggest that first, take the prescribed medications and if the itching continues, make an appointment with a primary care md.  I know you said the last time it took forever to get a doc so if that is the case this time, you might go to an urgent care center.  In my opinion, I don't think it would be beneficial to contact the ER.  They have already seen you, prescribed medications, and made recommendations to seek further treatment from your doctor if you continue to have symptoms.  They won't treat you over the phone and would just tell you to come in to be seen if you think it is necessary.  The ER won't do a complete workup to evaluate  or to rule out all possible medical causes of the itching, that is not what ER care is.

So if the itching does continue I would certainly make an appointment with a primary care md.  That way they can evaluate your history, your family history, and start working to rule out the various medical conditions that can cause itching and try to identify the problem.

Sending good thoughts your way, these episodes of that kind of itching can be quite stressful in and of itself, not to mention it is disrupting your sleep and ability to work. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@makena, I don't know if this has been addressed.  I didn't see it so if it has, forgive me.

You said you were given 2 meds, one being Prednisone but you said they told you one was a steroid.  Prednisone is a steroid and is used for a lot of different things.  My SIL got a horrible case of poison ivy and was given Prednisone.  I have been given Prednisone for a back issue as well as when I was having a shoulder problem.  I also know people who are on it for allergies.  You need to be very sure to take that medication as directed.  You cannot just stop taking it. You have to slowly go off it.

I think you definitely need to find yourself a PCP.  It's not very cost effective to have to go to the ER or urgent care/express clinic for everything not to mention, you can end up with different docs or nurse practicitioners who aren't going to know your history and you end up starting all over again.  I've never had much luck at clinics except for something like a UTI.  It's definitely not how I would want to be treated on a regular basis.

At the very least you should be seen yearly at a PCP.  So get yourself established as a patient so in case something happens, you don't have to worry.            

Honored Contributor

@makena,  Just a note to say you've been in my thoughts -- I hope you're feeling better.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@makena,  Just a note to say you've been in my thoughts -- I hope you're feeling better.❤️

@dooBdoo you are very kind.  Blessings for you.  Last night I awoke at 4 a.m again.  Only this time the episode was not so intense.  I was able to get back to sleep for a little while until I had to get up and then I overslept a bit.  At least I made it to work on time (or else).  One strange thing I've noticed, most of the episodes seem to occur while I am sleeping.  Except for the one day at work around 2 pm I had that one day.  I think it's improving.  The itching is limited to my arms and arm pits and they are definitely not as irritating.  I think after it's over and i stop these meds, I am going to make an appt with someone for a good physical, family history overview, and possible causes.  I turned 63 last month.  I think it's time I establish a good rapport with a physician.  Thank you for your concern.  You're a sweetieHeart

Honored Contributor

You're welcome, @makena, and thank you for the kind words.image.gif  It's great to know you've seen improvement, though it sure would be nice to see it gone completely, right?   At least now you're seeing more clues that might point to the cause, and also this episode -- albeit exasperating and beyond uncomfortable -- might lead to a beneficial relationship with a PCP.    I know...  doctors are imperfect and it's hard to find a good match, but I hope and pray good things will happen for you!   Take care.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova