Trusted Contributor

Happy New Year - Please post your healthy meals!

Ok, I'm a tiny bit early, but I'm off from work today, lol!

For those who are turning over a new leaf in the new year; or any who enjoy planning healthy meals, please post your healthy meals.  (If you would like to add in any other healthy activities, or tips, feel free to do so). 

While I understand not everyone will have the same idea as to what constitutes a healthy meal, I am hoping this thread will encourage posters to take steps to improve their health, or encourage others by their good examples.

Tonight's dinner in my house will be based around cabbage soup.  The cabbage soup is on the stove now.  I haven't planned the rest of the meal yet. 

So, what is/are your healthy meal(s) today? 

Do the math.
Valued Contributor

Re: Happy New Year - Please post your healthy meals!

@MarieIG

Hi!  I love cabbage soup!   I sometimes mix in sauerkraut to give it added zip.  I plan to eat even more grains than I did, last year.  I've added quinoa and farro into my meal rotations. They make great meals when tossed with chopped up vegetables (and avocado!), feta cheese, lemon juice and olive oil.   Sometimes I will add chick peas, shrimp or chicken.  I love black bean soup. It goes great with a side of veggie nachos. I am trying to eat with an eye towards the planet's sustainability.  I have replaced beef in a lot of my recipes.  When I feel like a protein, I am just as satisified eating turkey burgers (with baked sweet potato fries!) or a turkey meatloaf.  I'm also trying to be more "picky" about the quality of the produce I buy.  I found I was throwing out way too much.  Some of it just didn't taste good and I didn't eat it.  So, I end up spending more for high quality produce but throwing out less.  My latest discoveries are organic apples taste very good and little oranges from California taste better than little oranges from Spain.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

I joined WW before the holidays, and have been eating yellow squash "fried "in butter Pam with a sprinkling of corn meal, okra cooked the same way, chicken tenders, cabbage boiled, spinach, grilled steak, mushrooms, oat n fit oatmeal, scrambled eggs, center cut bacon, toast, Fairlife skim milk which is lower in sugar, and have had a few cookies too. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I already posted about my stuffed bell pepper experience in Recipes.  For those of you who have a vitamix, the best soup I've made so far is the broccoli cheese soup.  I also use the dry container to crumble fiber one cereal and use that as breading for chicken when I get the urge every once in a blue moon for cutlets.  

And as for cabbage, I buy a package of the tri-color coleslaw mix at the supermarket and use that for my lunch salad every day at work.  Better for you than regular lettuce and it's already cut so no prep.  

I also have done cucumber salad which is an old Italian thing.  Peel skin (if you want) and slice cucumbers and then toss them in vinegar and oil and season to your taste. Italians do salt, pepper and oregano.  It's really good.

I have also started to snack on pickles and my grocery store actually has a nice nut mix of almonds, sesame seeds, peanuts and cranberries (all unsalted) for not a whole lot of money for a big bag which I separate into about 20 small ziploc bags and take with me as well.

I also LOVE black beans which I use for tacos, bell pepper stuffing, or just by themselves with salsa.    I also buy flourless tortillas and wrap them up for sandwiches.

LOVE sweet potatoes too and I have shredded them for hash browns and also cut them for home made fries.  Super easy:  Cut, spray with canola oil, season and bake them in the oven.

I'm excited to hear what everyone else is has found.  I have a bunch of healthy recipes I just pulled from the library so let the cooking begin!

Trusted Contributor

So many good ideas.  Thank you all for posting.  (I just went with the cabbage soup tonight, I wasn't in the mood for anything else).  

Do the math.
Respected Contributor

I was just having this conversation.  Biggest change for me this time of year is getting past all the holiday food.  It was great, but I'm tired of it now.  I'll definitely focus on soup!  Love it!  I just purchased a slow cooker so I'll be looking at some of those recipes too.  Happy New Year! 

Honored Contributor

First of all, I would advise you and anyone to buy organic.  Organic everything.  Vegetables, fruit, meat, nuts, even naughty things like sugar or flour.

I love cabbage soup and make it with quinoa.  It thickens it for sure, but makes it heartier.

I make lentil soup and the portabella mushrooms are like strips of beef to me.  (I'm vegetarian.)

I always use San Marzano roma tomatoes for my soups and spaghetti sauce.  They are hands down the best imho.

I also stir fry garlic, onions, mushrooms, celery and add steamed quinoa and a few jalepeno slices and lots of tumeric, curry, and cumin.  I call it dirty rice, but it's HOT!

I make my own cashew milk using roasted (and salted) cashews and filtered water.

I'll add hemp protein powder to a glassful to get a nutrional boost if I'm running on empty.

I also pour some cashew milk into a glass (tight) lidded container, add some rolled oats, a half teaspoon pure maple syrup, a teaspoon of cinamon and a few chopped pecans and a tbsp of chia seeds.  Let it sit overnight and I have a nice oatmeal breakfast waiting for me to start off the day right.  (I never liked cooked oatmeal!)

Trusted Contributor

Hello! Hope everyone is doing well with their healthy choices. Tonight was a mixed organic lettuce (pre-cut), with sardines in olive oil; vinegar & spices the lettuce; and left over cabbage soup on the side (with mustard on top).

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

Last night, I did scrambled eggs mixed with almond milk, some cheese and raw broccoli for like a mini quiche and some toast.  I was tired and it was quick and good!

I've also rediscovered dijon mustard which has the tumeric everyone raves about.  Put that in my lunch sandwich today to take a break from cabbage salad. I like it!   

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

Last night, I did scrambled eggs mixed with almond milk, some cheese and raw broccoli for like a mini quiche and some toast.  I was tired and it was quick and good!

I've also rediscovered dijon mustard which has the tumeric everyone raves about.  Put that in my lunch sandwich today to take a break from cabbage salad. I like it!   

Sounds great!  I'm a fan of mustad myself.

Do the math.