Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

I don't recommend anything with anti bacterial properties.  It is one of the many things that is causing anti-biotic resistance.  Furthermore, many of these products can't eliminate certain bacteria.  

It's not needed.  Regular soap and water and washing hands long enough will do the trick.

@gertrudecloset 

Uh, okay. 

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I didn't ask you for a soap recommendation.

I've read the same things you've read about hand washing and bacteria.   However, in the kitchen, handling all sorts of food, I think it's smart to use antibacterial hand soap. 

Whether anyone thinks it's "necessary" or not, when it comes to food preparation in my kitchen, I'll err on the side of caution. 

JMO, of course.  

I didn't ask for your opinion.  I have my own opinion, of course.  My opinion is informed by data that suggests the over use of products that claim to have antibacterial ingredients do us harm in the way of us being resistant to antibiotics.  It's really that simple.  I made a suggestion based on factual data.  I didn't make this suggestion lightly or just for the sake of seeing my point of view in writing.  Of course, one can do what he/she pleases.  I made a statement for all on this board to see, but YOU decided to respond to me as if I'm talking to YOU.  Wonder why?

Don't respond because I will not respond back to you.  What you do in your house is fine by me @Tinkrbl44 .  Why on earth do you think I care?

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@Trailrun23 wrote:

We have two drs in our family. Both say any soap and water used to wash your hands will wash away bacteria. My own dr says the same. The key is washing long enough and often enough. We taught our grands to sing Happy birthday or both verses of twinkle twinkle little star when they brush their teeth or wash their hands. I hear them humming when they wash their hands and think it's adorable. 

Of course!  

Esteemed Contributor

In addition, the wide use of these products over a long time has raised the question of potential negative effects on your health.

After studying the issue, including reviewing available literature and hosting public meetings, in 2013 the FDA issued a proposed rule requiring safety and efficacy data from manufacturers, consumers, and others if they wanted to continue marketing antibacterial products containing those ingredients, but very little information has been provided. That’s why the FDA is issuing a final rule under which OTC consumer antiseptic wash products (including liquid, foam, gel hand soaps, bar soaps, and body washes) containing the majority of the antibacterial active ingredients—including triclosan and triclocarban—will no longer be able to be marketed.

Why? Because the manufacturers haven’t proven that those ingredients are safe for daily use over a long period of time. Also, manufacturers haven’t shown that these ingredients are any more effective than plain soap and water in preventing illnesses and the spread of certain infections. Some manufacturers have already started removing these ingredients from their products, ahead of the FDA’s final rule.

“Following simple handwashing practices is one of the most effective ways to prevent the spread of many types of infection and illness at home, at school and elsewhere,” says Theresa M. Michele, MD, of the FDA’s Division of Nonprescription Drug Products. “We can’t advise this enough. It’s simple, and it works.”

The FDA’s final rule covers only consumer antibacterial soaps and body washes that are used with water. It does not apply to hand sanitizers or hand wipes. It also does not apply to antibacterial soaps that are used in health care settings, such as hospitals and nursing homes.

Triclosan and Health Concerns

Triclosan can be found in many places today. It has been added to many consumer products—including clothing, kitchenware, furniture, and toys—to prevent bacterial contamination. Because of that, people’s long-term exposure to triclosan is higher than previously thought, raising concerns about the potential risks associated with the use of this ingredient over a lifetime.

In addition, laboratory studies have raised the possibility that triclosan contributes to making bacteria resistant to antibiotics. Some data shows this resistance may have a significant impact on the effectiveness of medical treatments, such as antibiotics.

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/antibacterial-soap-you-can-skip-it-use-plain-soap-and...

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

I don't recommend anything with anti bacterial properties.  It is one of the many things that is causing anti-biotic resistance.  Furthermore, many of these products can't eliminate certain bacteria.  

It's not needed.  Regular soap and water and washing hands long enough will do the trick.

@gertrudecloset 

Uh, okay. 

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I didn't ask you for a soap recommendation.

I've read the same things you've read about hand washing and bacteria.   However, in the kitchen, handling all sorts of food, I think it's smart to use antibacterial hand soap. 

Whether anyone thinks it's "necessary" or not, when it comes to food preparation in my kitchen, I'll err on the side of caution. 

JMO, of course.  

I didn't ask for your opinion.  I have my own opinion, of course.  My opinion is informed by data that suggests the over use of products that claim to have antibacterial ingredients do us harm in the way of us being resistant to antibiotics.  It's really that simple.  I made a suggestion based on factual data.  I didn't make this suggestion lightly or just for the sake of seeing my point of view in writing.  Of course, one can do what he/she pleases.  I made a statement for all on this board to see, but YOU decided to respond to me as if I'm talking to YOU.  Wonder why?

Don't respond because I will not respond back to you.  What you do in your house is fine by me @Tinkrbl44 .  Why on earth do you think I care?

@gertrudecloset 

Boy, you sure are fixated on telling people what they can or cannot do.   In real life, you must be a real piece of work for people to have to deal with.  Wow.

Honored Contributor

Castile liquid soaps.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Castile liquid soaps.

@goldensrbest 

Do you use them?  I recall my grandmother liking them, but as a kid I never understood what a "Castile" was ... lol

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44Yes, i use them ,i bought pumps on amazon ,and mix castile liquid soap ,with water,for foaming soaps for washing my hands. 

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Valued Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

Agreed,  our family doctor told my mother that 60 years ago.  He did suggest using Dial when we had a rash or impetigo, but not as a daily soap.