Esteemed Contributor

@sarahpanda wrote:

I'm not really sure where to post this thread but here goes....I wear contacts. Naturally, I wash my hands before putting them in, taking them out.  In the past, I've used a handsoap called EQUATE Clear that I've been able to purchase @ Walmart but it's not been in stock for a while. The other soaps I've found are not free of perfumes, dyes and oils.  Even though I rinse my hands ''well'' after using the unwanted soaps, my hands always feel slippery after using ....which is really not good to be touching contacts with.  Can anymore suggest a handsoap that is 'free and clear' of extras ?  Thank you kindly.

Are you rinsing your hands with cool water?  Cool water should eliminate any slippery feeling that would be left.  As for the perfumes, I'm not sure.  You can try Ms. Meyers Clean Day Bar Soaps or liquid hand soaps.  Very nice lather and very very mild scents.  Nothing perfume like.  Excellent bar soap that lasts and lasts and lasts.  I have a bottle of the hand soap in all bathrooms and in the kitchen.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Super Contributor

If you have a Kroger store, buy the Kroger brand antibacterial ripe melon it doesn't leave a smell on your hands and rinses clean. I wear contacts and it is the only hand soap I use.

Honored Contributor

@sarahpanda   Just a tip for the future -- when I need a product free of a lot of chemicals and other junk, I check products in the baby aisle of stores. You can find good stuff there by reading the ingredients. 

Trusted Contributor

@Still Raining I don't have answer for the OP, but I agree with you about going back to bar soap. I now use prė do Provence persimmon in my shower, and classic bars from The Laundress in the kitchen. Both hard milled and last for ages. I don't know why I ever changed to liquid. I must have thought it was less messy or something. But bar soap is so much better for my skin.

Valued Contributor

Like you, I can smell and feel the stuff or chemicals in hand soap. The soaps in public bathrooms burns my hands. Others on here say stuff rinses clean, well it doesn't for all of these typical hand soaps. I love ECOS brand. I buy it at Whole Foods in the big square bottles with the squirt tops. I even find the lavendar smell rinses clean but for sure the no scent is fabulous. I also like Seventh Generation, harder to find now but used to be at Targets. Probably on Amazon? I first found my ECOS at Target on clearance and bought two bottles. Came home and tried it and ran back and bought two more on clearance the next day. Love Love Love. 

Respected Contributor

DH has skin issues after radiation treatment...he uses Basis bar soap...it really is a bar of nothing....no perfume, dyes, etc.....but it is extremely gentle and he likes using it. 

Honored Contributor

@sarahpanda 

Funny, but I'm looking for a new handsoap because the scents have changed in a lot of brands.  Too many are now having ridiculous combinations, which is totally unnecessary ....  stupid things like melon and hibiscus or lavender and chamomile ....  if I can't find a good lemon or something with a true scent, not a mixture, I'll have to resort to unscented, antibacterial.

It's always something .... lol.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't recommend anything with anti bacterial properties.  It is one of the many things that is causing anti-biotic resistance.  Furthermore, many of these products can't eliminate certain bacteria.  

It's not needed.  Regular soap and water and washing hands long enough will do the trick.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

I don't recommend anything with anti bacterial properties.  It is one of the many things that is causing anti-biotic resistance.  Furthermore, many of these products can't eliminate certain bacteria.  

It's not needed.  Regular soap and water and washing hands long enough will do the trick.

@gertrudecloset 

Uh, okay. 

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I didn't ask you for a soap recommendation.

I've read the same things you've read about hand washing and bacteria.   However, in the kitchen, handling all sorts of food, I think it's smart to use antibacterial hand soap. 

Whether anyone thinks it's "necessary" or not, when it comes to food preparation in my kitchen, I'll err on the side of caution. 

JMO, of course.  

Respected Contributor

We have two drs in our family. Both say any soap and water used to wash your hands will wash away bacteria. My own dr says the same. The key is washing long enough and often enough. We taught our grands to sing Happy birthday or both verses of twinkle twinkle little star when they brush their teeth or wash their hands. I hear them humming when they wash their hands and think it's adorable.