Valued Contributor

I agree with one of the other posts here, it could be gout, that was my first thought. My MIL had same problem in her hand, swelling, pain and it was indeed gout. These Drs. need to inform and educate instead of just treat symptoms. You have to be your own health advocate, lots of experience has taught me this. Look up gout on internet and educate yourself. I swear the Drs. just want to keep bringing you in to bill you or your insurance, so they don't teach prevention or try to figure out the problem, they just treat symptoms. Then again prevention is a hard sell to most people. I started going to a homeopathic Dr. and what a difference,I highly recommend it if you can. Good luck though.

Honored Contributor

@Trailrun23 & @KittySoftPaws OP came back and said doctor ruled out gout.

Honored Contributor

@Mustang Shar 

Do you have either RA or osteo arthritis?   Apparently, it runs in families, which I learned only recently.  

Honored Contributor

You should ask her to do a work up for rheumatoid arthritis.  My dad had RA in both hands.  The symptoms were like yours.  He'd have painful flare up that would last days to weeks and then it would go into remission.

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

You should ask her to do a work up for rheumatoid arthritis.  My dad had RA in both hands.  The symptoms were like yours.  He'd have painful flare up that would last days to weeks and then it would go into remission.

Yes, that appointment is scheduled 8/1 , I'm going to guess that's what we are dealing with. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mustang Shar 

@Mustang Shar wrote:

Looks like I'm going back to the orthopedic. 

My hand will just swell and painful to the touch. I saw my orthopedic and at the time of the appointment, the swelling was only barely visible. However I did manage to take a photo to show her. She put me on steroids and hopefully wouldn't reoccur again.

Well.... wishful thinking. I had just fallen asleep when sudden pain woke me, it was my hand! All swollen and could not even touch it. That was at 11:45pm , I was up all night and finally got dressed and drove to ER. Used my left hand to put car in Drive!

ER Doc ordered steroids, but more long term and only twice a day and pain meds. I had previously iced and had Tylenol 3 with codeine and that didn't do a thing. Wicked pain.

Doc suggested perhaps it's all the nerve endings that are inflamed and orthopedic could do tests. Of course it's a holiday so will call orthopedic tomorrow.

This was the 4th and worst episode in 6 weeks. Has anyone here experienced this? The pain was worse then when I fractured my elbow last year, other arm. Crazy!!!

I had the painful swelling on one of my fingers, swollen and red. I forgot to take my calcium, magnisum pills two, and when I did, the next morning, redness, pain and swelling gone. It was Andrew Lessman ultra magnesum calcium combo.

Super Contributor

@Mustang Shar wrote:

My hand will just swell and painful to the touch. I saw my orthopedic and at the time of the appointment, the swelling was only barely visible. However I did manage to take a photo to show her. She put me on steroids and hopefully wouldn't reoccur again.

Well.... wishful thinking. I had just fallen asleep when sudden pain woke me, it was my hand! All swollen and could not even touch it. That was at 11:45pm , I was up all night and finally got dressed and drove to ER. Used my left hand to put car in Drive!

ER Doc ordered steroids, but more long term and only twice a day and pain meds. I had previously iced and had Tylenol 3 with codeine and that didn't do a thing. Wicked pain.

Doc suggested perhaps it's all the nerve endings that are inflamed and orthopedic could do tests. Of course it's a holiday so will call orthopedic tomorrow.

This was the 4th and worst episode in 6 weeks. Has anyone here experienced this? The pain was worse then when I fractured my elbow last year, other arm. Crazy!!!

I too am experiencing this same thing!  July 2nd I got my second booster shot and a day or two later my hands swelled big time, very painful then from the swelling I got numbness and tingling.  After a couple of weeks I went to the dr for a medrol pack (steriods), got rid of the swelling but did nothing for the pain and numb/tingling.  Went for a C-spine xrays yesterday so time will tell but truthfully, I believe wholeheartedly it was from the shot, too coincidental. 

Did you by chance have a recent shot in that time frame too?

Esteemed Contributor

@FatCatinCT 

@FatCatinCT wrote:

@Mustang Shar wrote:

I too am experiencing this same thing!  July 2nd I got my second booster shot and a day or two later my hands swelled big time, very painful then from the swelling I got numbness and tingling.  After a couple of weeks I went to the dr for a medrol pack (steriods), got rid of the swelling but did nothing for the pain and numb/tingling.  Went for a C-spine xrays yesterday so time will tell but truthfully, I believe wholeheartedly it was from the shot, too coincidental. 

I had my 4th booster last Friday and this Thursday my left hand and fingers were painful and my whole body ached. I took a covid test and was negatige.  The paid is mild in my left hand now, but I woke up to pain on my right side.

Valued Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

@FatCatinCT 

@FatCatinCT wrote:

@Mustang Shar wrote:

I had my 4th booster last Friday and this Thursday my left hand and fingers were painful and my whole body ached. I took a covid test and was negatige.  The paid is mild in my left hand now, but I woke up to pain on my right side.

If you even think this might be a vaccine injury, please take the time to make a VAERS report so collection of data is advanced. It takes a while online to do it, your doctor is not going to take the time. But the CDC will follow up on you with periodic phone calls. 

Respected Contributor

Ok, here is the final verdict, I have tested positive for rheumatoid arthritis and will start a new drug, methotrexate . This swelling/pain is part of the symptoms. I have to read up on all of this. I understand this drug has many interactions but rheumatologist said my diabetic drugs should be fine. However, a very good chance of strong GI upsets with this.... I haven't started it yet. Ugh, I should just get it over with and start . Maybe it won't be that bad or if it is, maybe it only lasts for couple of days each week.  Fingers crossed that all my joint pains will start to ease up.