Respected Contributor

Hand sanitizers mess with your hormones

I just heard on a TV show that hand sanitizers can mess with your thyroid/hormones - which is kinda scary!  I know germs are good - builds our immunity - so think the next time you reach for your hand sanitizer.

Honored Contributor

Re: Hand sanitizers mess with your hormones

Please, PLEASE be specific when you post something with such a scary title and include a source. Bad information doesn't help anyone.

Most hand sanitizers use alcohol as the active ingredient and are very safe to use. A smaller number of hand sanitizers and many anti-bacterial soaps use Triclosan as the active ingredient and those are the ones which are are questionable and which doctors recommend people avoid.

Triclosan may mess with your hormones, so read labels. Most hand sanitizers are very safe.

Here's some better information: http://www.wired.com/2013/12/fda-triclosan-rule/

Respected Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

Please, PLEASE be specific when you post something with such a scary title and include a source. Bad information doesn't help anyone.

Most hand sanitizers use alcohol as the active ingredient and are very safe to use. A smaller number of hand sanitizers and many anti-bacterial soaps use Triclosan as the active ingredient and those are the ones which are are questionable and which doctors recommend people avoid.

Triclosan may mess with your hormones, so read labels. Most hand sanitizers are very safe.

Here's some better information: http://www.wired.com/2013/12/fda-triclosan-rule/

Sorry if I offended you - just heard it on TV and it was a short story - didn't talk about ingredients in hand sanitizers -

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I just heard on a TV show that hand sanitizers can mess with your thyroid/hormones - which is kinda scary!  I know germs are good - builds our immunity - so think the next time you reach for your hand sanitizer.

WHAT tv show?     Was it a local news segment ... or on a talk show .... or WHAT ?   

IMO, You went to the trouble to start a thread here, so the least you could do is provide some specifics.

Honored Contributor

Triclosan was in B&BW hand cleansers & they removed it a while back. I don't use hand sanitizers. I prefer to use soap & water. I always feel like I need to wash my hands when I use a hand sanitizer. I'm hypothyroid so I guess I need to stay away from Triclosan. I did not know it was a hormone disrupter.

Respected Contributor

WOW - do you all wake up like this?  I'm done - obviously you all are upset at the new rules and need someone to take your ire out on.  You can't slam the hosts anymore so you decide to go after people who enjoy posting and having converations with people on the board.  This is why I retired - so I DON'T HAVE TO PUT UP WITH PEOPLE LIKE YOU! 

Valued Contributor

Locked, but please feel free to reopen another thread on the original topic.