Super Contributor

Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease

This Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease called Cox Sackie Virus is real ladies and I have it.

Apparently it is a young child's disease especially ones in daycare But grandma can catch it and she has.    My son also got it but he is younger and was stronger I guess.  

I look at my 21 month old grandson and consider him a hero because this disease has knocked me off my feet literally.   You get spots and blisters on your hands, mouth and feet and it hurst so much to walk I spent Saturday in bed getting up only when necessary.

The literature says this is not serious but it is serious if you have it.

Just be aware it really is real.

Info on WEBMD

Spotty red   BookbabeWoman Sad

Honored Contributor

Re: Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease

Last year there was a mini outbreak of this at the nursery school our Granddaughter attends.  Luckily she had a mild case and did not pass it on to any of her siblings. (precautions were taken)

Respected Contributor

My grandson got this a few years ago. Luckily he didn't pass it to anyone either. I hope you get better soon!

Honored Contributor

@Bookbabe

We had it over the summer, too.  Let me say that I am so sorry you got this.  

A newly born grandbaby (DD's boy) was born by C-section over the summer.  We were there, thank heavens.  

Our granddaughter started showing signs of the illness the second day her mom was in the hospital.  The pediatrician said her throat was red and that there were blisters in her mouth.  He said to take her home and keep the two children separate, just in case.

Poor baby, she got the blisters on her feet, too.  DH did not contract this, but I did a little bit.  Our GD was teething and so stopped up nose and her saliva got on everything.

I hope yours is limited and that you begin to feel better soon.  : (

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Super Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@Bookbabe

We had it over the summer, too.  Let me say that I am so sorry you got this.  

A newly born grandbaby (DD's boy) was born by C-section over the summer.  We were there, thank heavens.  

Our granddaughter started showing signs of the illness the second day her mom was in the hospital.  The pediatrician said her throat was red and that there were blisters in her mouth.  He said to take her home and keep the two children separate, just in case.

Poor baby, she got the blisters on her feet, too.  DH did not contract this, but I did a little bit.  Our GD was teething and so stopped up nose and her saliva got on everything.

I hope yours is limited and that you begin to feel better soon.  : (

Our grandchildren are the little heros because they were so brave and just carried on.  I can't imagine how the babies felt.  at least they won't remember this at such an early age.  me, I'll never forget.

Honored Contributor

@Bookbabe

Our DD was frantic -- she thought the brand new baby was at risk... he did fine.

Our DGD was so miserable, yet for the most part (other than fever and foot blisters) she was a trooper too.

Our first clue with her was her refusal to eat.

The medical people seemed to take it all in stride.

Oh, and I discovered the rash.

I'll bet you are really having a tough time.  The main reason DH & I didn't come down with it was that we were as careful as we could be.  I now wonder if those who catch it from the primary source (DGD probably caught it from Daycare) become more ill.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Super Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@Bookbabe

Our DD was frantic -- she thought the brand new baby was at risk... he did fine.

Our DGD was so miserable, yet for the most part (other than fever and foot blisters) she was a trooper too.

Our first clue with her was her refusal to eat.

The medical people seemed to take it all in stride.

Oh, and I discovered the rash.

I'll bet you are really having a tough time.  The main reason DH & I didn't come down with it was that we were as careful as we could be.  I now wonder if those who catch it from the primary source (DGD probably caught it from Daycare) become more ill.

I believe you are right.  Also, at the beginning my grandson did not want to eat either just drink.   Unfortunately grandma did not lose my desire to eat. 

Valued Contributor

It is a common misconception that adults can't get this, but you, I and a multitude of others are living proof that they can!  I didn't have a serious outbreak, but had painful little herpetic lesions on my hands that would come in waves until they finally stopped coming (while my girls were over it in about 2 -3 weeks).  Hoping that you have a brisk recovery.  

Valued Contributor

My son got this when he was 17, I had never heard of a teenager having it, I just knew he has and STD and was furious with him, till the Dr. , told us what it was.  This still comes up from time to time! 

The worst blisters he had were on his hands, he was very uncomfortable for a week or so.