Honored Contributor

I just found out that I have hammertoes ... one on each foot!.   Only one pair of shoes bothered me ... I thought it was the shoes.   Turns out it wasn't the shoes ... but arthritis!  Other than that one pair of shoes, never had any pain or discomfort.

I ordered some hammertoe pads from Amazon .... they'll be here Monday.

Trusted Contributor

Hubby had surgery on his. After they took the pin out it went back to the way it was.

Honored Contributor

@sweetee2 wrote:

Hubby had surgery on his. After they took the pin out it went back to the way it was.

@sweetee2 

Glad you mentioned that.  Just confirms my decision not to do it!.  I just read about the surgery / pin business..

Those little toe things look like they'll prevent the shoes from rubbing.  It's only one pair of shoes that bother me ... and I really like the shoes!

Honored Contributor

I have a hammertoe on one toe on my right foot.  I got "hammertoe crutches" from Amazon and wear one every day.  What a huge relief!!!!!!!!!  I don't ever notice that I have.this condition, but for the callus on the tip of the toe.  My pedicurist trims that a bit when I get a pedicure.  Those little "crutches" have been a god-send for me.

Respected Contributor

DH has had severe hammertoes on both feet all his life. He had surgery when he was a teenager, but it didn’t help much. If the hammertoe pads you bought from Amazon help, go with them. 

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette 

I know we can't post links to outside vendors, but would you describe in a little more details which you use?

On amazon, when I search.... wraps, cushions, pads, straighteners...2 Pages of all different kinds!

I never knew there were such things!  I'd appreciate it!

TIA!

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife  Believe it or not, it's actually called a hammertoe crutch!  Here's the information:  

Pedifix Visco Gel Hammertoe Crutch Item #1037.

( I got size Medium, since it's my middle toe.)

As of this morning, the price is $13.80 for a package of 4.  They're reusable, so they last a very, very long time.

Regular Contributor

Had hammertoe surgery (on two toes, right foot) and now going for consult on my left foot. Was on crutches for about a week...then, of course, the dreaded "boot" for weeks. Retired now, but was still working when I had the first surgery. It's rough, but worth it. However, I had pain for a good while after the surgery. No regrets.

Esteemed Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I have a hammertoe on one toe on my right foot.  I got "hammertoe crutches" from Amazon and wear one every day.  What a huge relief!!!!!!!!!  I don't ever notice that I have.this condition, but for the callus on the tip of the toe.  My pedicurist trims that a bit when I get a pedicure.  Those little "crutches" have been a god-send for me.

------------------

Wow, am so glad that I read this thread!!!  I have a callus on my toe too and am getting one on the other foot!!  Had never heard of it and didn't know anyone that had the same issue.  My toes don't really hurt, but my toe nail is really thick and cutting my  nails is really difficult!  Was going to a foot doc, but insurance will no longer pay for it.  Will check Amazon....

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette 

Thank you VERY much!