Respected Contributor

Re: Hammer toes and cutting tendon?

@qualitygal wrote:

9/11/14, I thought I'd read this before.

Would have to assume the hammer toe situation has been figured out a full two plus years later. HA!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@elainemasey wrote:
I have very bad bunions and hammer toes. My podiatrist suggested cutting the tendon to help the hammer toe relax. He says it is painless, quick recovery and no side effects. Has anyone tried this? What are your thoughts? Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dONTx6_RHu4

Esteemed Contributor

I had very successful tendon transfers on both feet, two toes each.  I went to an orthopedist who specializes in foot problems.   I had asked the difference between the podiatric  fix and his solution.   His surgical approach is permanent and the toes stay aligned and don't flop around as time goes by.  I went with his procedure and my toes are perfect 5 years later.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi, I was a surgical assistant for a podiatrist and I assisted in hundreds on tenotomies. They are painless. There is almost no bleeding. They do lengthen the tendon and might help you. They take little time to do and all you will need is a local anesthetic. As long as you are not diabetic you should be fine. This is not the only solution for hammertoe and bunions might need bone surgery, removal other forms of remediation including combination surgeries which can include tenotomy.  Know that tenotomy by itself can be a money maker for some podiatrists. Here is a video of a tenotomy procedure for hammer toe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVSjiLegxc4

Honored Contributor

I know someone who had/has a hammer toe on each foot.  Due to inattention, one of them ended up with a sore which resulted in a bad infection that went to the bone and up the leg.  Surgery was required to amputate the affected bone.  The person is scheduled soon for tendon cutting on the other toe in hopes of uncurling the toe and preserving it intact.  

Occasional Contributor

@pupwhipped wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

9/11/14, I thought I'd read this before.

Would have to assume the hammer toe situation has been figured out a full two plus years later. HA!!!

I have hammer toe. I could feel how comfortable these sneakers were from the moment I put them on - EVEN BEFORE I STOOD UP!!! I could feel the heel of the shoe cuddling my heel. I can not bear to wear anything but my orthofeet shoes! I like the hammer toe for toe comfort. Fit is great. I like the colors and the mesh.