Frequent Contributor

Hammer toes and cutting tendon?

I have very bad bunions and hammer toes. My podiatrist suggested cutting the tendon to help the hammer toe relax. He says it is painless, quick recovery and no side effects. Has anyone tried this? What are your thoughts? Thank you.
Frequent Contributor

Re: Hammer toes and cutting tendon?

DON'T DO IT!!! My Doctor (who I later realized I wouldn't use anyway), at least told me how frequently hammer toes come back. Additionally, the procedure means you can't drive for 6 weeks (if that matters to you). More significantly to me is that my (surgeon) brother-in-law told me that foot surgery usually results in the patient having lasting problems.

Frequent Contributor

He tells me he numbs the foot, then snips the tendon and 2-3 stitches later I am done. I don't have to stay off of it. I just can not get it wet for 2 weeks because of the stitches.
Contributor

I have had hammertoe surgery on both my feet in the late 1970's. They cut the tendons on all my toes except the big toes. They then put pins in my toes to straighten them. I had one foot done and waited six weeks before the other foot was done. I have scars but it worked out okay.

Super Contributor

On 9/15/2014 Dancing Barbara said:

I have had hammertoe surgery on both my feet in the late 1970's. They cut the tendons on all my toes except the big toes. They then put pins in my toes to straighten them. I had one foot done and waited six weeks before the other foot was done. I have scars but it worked out okay.

I had the EXACT same procedure done except I had hammertoes on ALL five toes on my left foot.

Best thing I ever did. Very little scarring for me. Once I was healed, it was so nice to be able to wear closed toe shoes without the pain. Had it done back in early 1990's.

Forgot to add: it was in/out surgery at hospital - NOT a clinic. I was under full anesthesia. Surgery in the morning - went home in afternoon.

Frequent Contributor

Thank you. He is not talking pins etc. that could be for a later date, I have really bad bunions as well but they thankfully do not hurt. This is just cutting the tendon. He does it in the office, he says there is little pain, a couple stitches and takes about an hour with no restrictions afterwards. I am really glad you both had success. Now I just need the courage to book the appointment.
Frequent Contributor

Had 3 toes done in the 90's. So glad I had it done/

Just wondering if you ever had the tendons cut.  I had the full hammer toe surgery several years ago, and now four of my toes are curled under again.  My new podiatrist wants to cut the tendons, and I'm scheduled for the procedure tomorrow afternoon.

Honored Contributor

I have never heard of treating hammertoes this way. I personally would say HECK to the no.

The traditional surgical treatment I had was removal of the middle joint of the toe. I had it done awake in the podiatrist's office on both feet. Was housebound for a couple of weeks and could then drive or do whatever in surgical boots or sneakers with the toes cut out. Sore for several weeks, but functional. That was 45 years ago and no problems since.

I have found that many podiatrists are surgery-happy, and people end up needing repair/further surgery. I worked at a hospital where the majority of one doctor's surgeries were fixing up what others had screwed up.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

9/11/14, I thought I'd read this before.