Honored Contributor

Re: Hair loss cause in your experience?

I think much of it is hereditary.....at least in my family it is. All the women on my moms side start getting thin on the top around 50 or 60. We seem to keep the sides and back....it's mostly on the top.

Respected Contributor

I was diagnosed with Alopecia Areata last summer--I had lost about 2 inches on my back hair line and had a bunch of bald spots scattered throughout my head.  I was very lucky in that I had a dermatologist who had actually educated himself on this disease.  And I also have a lot of hair to cover up the spots.

I did get cortisone shots (40 of them) which stopped the loss and 6 weeks later, I had regrowth, which is now about 3 inches long.

I take biotin and juice plus vitamins as supplements.

Esteemed Contributor

@pupwhipped medications can cause side effects like hair loss so double check on the internet or with a pharmacist on that.  Hormones are a big cause of hair loss.  Is your tsh over 3?  Thyroid can fluctuate all day long so keep an eye on that.  Low iron can cause hair loss too so you could check that, also ferritin.  Lots of times hair comes back so try not to worry.

Honored Contributor

@pupwhipped wrote:

If you've had hair loss issues, did you ultimately find a cause? I've been experiencing it and I'm on the hunt to try and figure out the cause...if possible. Saw my cardiologist last week questioning him about a beta blocker (Carvedilol) I'm on. He said he doubted that could be the reason...I think he thought I was nuts. Ha! I'm seeing my regular doctor on Thursday to quiz him. BTW, my thyroid has been checked already in Jan. so that's not it. After that, I guess it's on to a dermatologist to see what he says. I will add that I had knee scope surgery back in October...exactly five months ago today. I noticed my hair starting to fall out in gobs about two, maybe three months ago.

Anyway, enough about me. I'm just wondering if any of you who have had this issue were able to determine the cause. Oh, and what in the world did you do to keep from going bald?  

Thanks for any thoughts,

pup  

@pupwhipped

Autoimmune diseases.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

I found when my auto-immune issues were addressed with medications my hair grew in thick and healthy. Before that, I was experiencing thinning. I was very worried but my hair now is still fine in texture but I have a lot of it.

Respected Contributor

Hey everyone. I've been reading some of the recent posts and I want to thank you all for sharing your thoughts here. As I think I mentioned early on, each one gives me something to think about and consider. I sincerely appreciate your help.

I did want to respond to a question that @Snoopp posed concerning my thyroid. I have never been told by my doctor that I have any problems with my thyroid. My last blood work done in January shows my fasting TSH to be 1.43 with normal values being 0.34-5.60. And FreeT4 was .97 with normal being 0.61-1.12. Also Vitamin D was 44.4 with normal being 30.0-100.0. Years ago I did have a low Vit. D level of around 17 or so. At least now it's gone up.

My dermatologist appointment is on 4/11 so I will report back in as to what he tells me. Maybe it might help someone else.

Thanks again,

pup 

Frequent Contributor

It is probably Chez's Wen, so many have had problems & he was sued for Hair loss. 

Honored Contributor

@QUALITYSEEKER wrote:

It is probably Chez's Wen, so many have had problems & he was sued for Hair loss. 

@QUALITYSEEKER I seriously doubt Wen is the problem.

Chaz was dealt a bad wrap on that IMO. Looks like someone had it in for Chaz. If you do any research about women's hair loss there are all kinds of reason for it. Medications, Menopause, Stress etc etc etc.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@QUALITYSEEKER wrote:

@QUALITYSEEKER I seriously doubt Wen is the problem.

Chaz was dealt a bad wrap on that IMO. Looks like someone had it in for Chaz. If you do any research about women's hair loss there are all kinds of reason for it. Medications, Menopause, Stress etc etc etc.

Yep, you can tell Chaz is back in town. 🙄😄

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt