Honored Contributor

Re: Hair loss cause in your experience?

Good luck, @pupwhipped! I had a lot of hair loss and shedding a few years back when I was under a lot of stress. There are so many things that can cause it, unfortunately. I'm glad you're seeing your doctors and trying to get to the bottom of it. It's a very frustrating experience.

Mine stopped a few months after the major stressors started clearing up and I've seen no long term effects, but I remember the awful feeling pulling so many strands out in the shower and wondering when I would just start getting bald spots on my head. I never did and no one seemed to notice but me.

Honored Contributor

I did go bald and it was so heartbreaking that I still have bad dreams about that experience. My hair has grown back now but it has been a long road to get here. 

I wish you all the luck @pupwhipped.Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

chemo/medications...I've been using Viviscal and hair shedding is minimal. Very pleased.

Bought Viviscal through Evine.com.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

- Hair loss is common during and after menopause.

- I've heard that general anesthesia can cause hair loss, but I haven't hear anything about any type of local causing it.

- I've been taking one beta blocker or another (I currently do take carvedilol) for 40 years - well before menopause. I've taken it since menopause. None of my hair loss has had to do with the beta blockers as I only started losing hair during menopause and nothing about my medication changed at all.

- I've never been on HRT.

The most common cause of hair loss/thinning as women age is menopause/hormones. I doubt anything (Rogaine, the hair growth machine) is going to help a huge amount with a natural, partly genetic (hereditary) process.

Hair falling out daily in clumps, however, is NOT what I experienced. That may have a specific, somewhat reversible cause.  Good luck!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

my hair stopped falling out after I got divorced.....

Respected Contributor

@pupwhipped  I was on a very low-carb, low-calorie diet and I experienced hair loss.   Basically, I was starving and malnourished.  

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Trusted Contributor

When my hair starts to get thin, it's usually time to adjust my thyroid meds.  However, I've also had hair loss after the birth of my daughter, and after each time I've had major surgery.

I think, when the body is healing, or hormones are out of kilter, the hair is the first thing your body lets go. 

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Contributor

Hi,

I have been dealing with my hair thinning and have a very bad spot near my upper part where I use to have nice bangs.  This has been getting worse and my primary doctor ordered blood work.  All tests came back norma and she referred me to a dermatolagist.  Next Monday is my appointment and I will see what they say.  Of course, family history can be a big part.  Baldness runs in my family on the male side but not the female.  I seem to be the only female in the family on each side with this problem.  Also, I am on alot of meds so who knows if this is what is contributing to the hair loss.  Will update after my appointment.

Linda S.

Respected Contributor

Great answers. Check thyroid, vitamin D, eat enough protein. But my experience has been hormone imbalance and stress. My hairdresser claims most people with hair loss she sees barring a medical condition like thyroid is caused by stress. 

Contributor

I have tried everything Drs useless they don't know, I have bought every shampoo etc also kind of useless waste of money ( I still do it though 🙄) gave up on rogainne a waste of time and money ,, i do take biotin etc but saw not much help, I then started using the hair max and I can say of all the things i tried this helps a bit, my hair is fine and horrible but I feel it's slightly better after a year of the hair max wished I started years ago , have been battling this for more than 20 years I think it's heredity my poor daughter is starting down the same road , it's awful it really is and I say Drs don't know and don't care , just my 2 cents worth - good luck on your search , oh I also think stress and worry don't help I now try very hard to not dwell on this and of course try and eat healthy .