Valued Contributor

Re: Hair loss cause in your experience?

I also have had hair loss.  My Docs also had no answers.  I started taking Andrew's Healthy Hair Skin and Nails twice a day and almost immediately noticed good results.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, it happened to me but it evenually stopped.   I saw one of the top doctors in the world at NYU Langone in New York City - I will share with you some of the things he told me.   First of all, have you seen a Dermatologist and had the appropriate blood tests for hair loss?  there are specific tests they do to rule out certain illnesses, deficiencies, inflammation etc that can cause hair loss..  In addition, many medications can also be blamed.    There are different kinds of hair loss.   Surgery causes hair loss for many people due to the shock to your system.  Sometimes it doesn't begin until 3 - 6 months "after" the surgery and it can go on for a long time.  As far as I'm concerned,  it was a combination of poor diet and stress.  I had someone in my immediate family who was very ill and I wasn't handling it very well.  I wasn't eating enough protein nor getting the requried vitamins and as a result my hair was shedding like crazy for 10 months.   It totally stopped when I changed my diet.  I made sure that I ate very healthy i.e. tons of protein at every meal, green veggies, healthy fats etc.  within 4 weeks the shedding completely stopped.   Let me reinforce that this was the reason for my hair loss you need to find out what is causing yours.   The first thing you should do is get the appropriate blood tests.  All Dermatologist know what test are necessary for hair loss.  Hope this helped.

Esteemed Contributor

I have very heavy hair.  I did notice some shedding as did the gal who cuts my hair (barber shop).  In any case I mentioned to my doctor, got tested.  Low on thyroid.  Given low doses and shedding stopped.  

Respected Contributor

Thank you all so much for your replies. Gives me a lot to think about. I will check back in later as I'm busy today making a big meal for my sick neighbor. But I did want everyone to know I appreciate your help.

Gotta go get in the shower now...that's where the hair falling out is the worst. I run my hands through my hair and way more then usual comes out. Ugh!

Thanks again!

pup 

Highlighted
Super Contributor

@pupwhipped, I may have the answer for you.  You are right on target for a condition known as telogen effluvium, which is not uncommon after a trauma, surgery, or pregnancy. It begins approximately 3 months after surgery, so the timing is right in your case. I am going through it now. My surgery was 3 1/2 months ago for femur fracture. It's frightening to see so much hair coming out on a daily basis, but the good news is that shedding typically ends 3 months after it begins and new hair has already started to grow in.

You can read about the more detailed explanation of the anagen and telogen phases of hair growth by googling the term. The hair that comes out typically has a white keratin bulb at the end of it. Your derm should be able to confirm this diagnosis and reassure you about it. I'd go to your derm, but don't mention what you think it is and see if s/he confirms.

Honored Contributor

You said your Thyroid was checked in Jan so that's not it. Are you already taking thyroid medication? The 1 I take lists hair loss as a side effect.

Honored Contributor

Had it for 30 years, unknown causus, blood work shows nothing, I do take a beta blocker, but small dose and this started way before the beta blocker. Very frustrating. I take Biotin, hair vitamins, evening primrose oil, and the list goes on to no avail. I would try the Hair Max laser, but I use so many products in my hair such as hair fibers, , my scalp is not clean enough to try it where it would be beneficial

Esteemed Contributor

@pupwhipped

Aside from speaking with your physicians, I'd suggest having a talk with your pharmacist as well.  When my Neuro placed me on Depakote about a year and a half ago, I was told to go to the "other" window so the pharmacist could speak with me, because this drug was new to me.  One of the first things she told me was that though not commonly known, some women experience hair loss and other changes to their hair(!)..I experienced both - Darn.  Most of the hair loss was in the temple area.  Then on the left side of my head, going up from my ear, nearly to a line that would meet the arch line in my eyebrow, my hair went kinky.  Biazrre!  And, it has stayed that way!!!  I must work that shock of hair every day with a curling iron to get most of the kinks out.

Additionally, on my Father's side, all of the men have male pattern baldness and ALL of the women experience huge hair loss after menopaus.  I mean HUGE.  Though my hair loss seems to have occurred directly after taking Depakote for 2 or so weeks, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that having gone through menopause now 8 years ago, I haven't lost massive amount of hair - yet.  Knock on wood.

I sincerely hope you're able to find an answer to this most important question.

Also, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a wig, which I did at one point, while growing my hair color out.  My issue here was that I have a large head and the big wig store had wonderful and stylish wigs, but only 1 - yes 1 - in a large size.  I have a friend who wears a wig every day (she has 3 of the same color and style) and keeps them shampooed and takes good care of them.  Most people don't even know she wears a wig!  If you're curious about this, get a referral from a hair stylist as to which wig retailer in your area is the best.  That's what I did, before purchasing mine.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just wanted to check back in with some updates. But first I want to sincerely thank everyone again for your kind replies. I appreciate your time and your thoughts.

I saw my primary care physician and he ran some blood tests to rule out I might have hemochromotosis, a disease where your body stores too much iron. I won't go into to it, but I had some concerns in that area. But I feel now that I do not have anything to worry about. Next I will be seeing a dermatologist who specializes in hair loss. I will be interested in what he has to say. It could very well be just a reaction after surgery/anesthesia back in October, but I'll see what he thinks. It's getting too serious to ignore.

And to answer a few questions that were posed, I've never been diagnosed with any thyroid problems. Tests have always been within the normal range. The dose of beta blockers I am on is, according to my doctor, a low one, and should not cause hair loss. And I've been on this beta blocker for almost a year and the hair loss only started about three months ago. 

Things I have started to try include the Andrew Lessman Hair Skin and Nails from HSN, and Ovation Cell Therapy hair care products I bought from the Q. Too early to tell if they are helping, but at least I'm trying.

Thanks again to all of you for your help. My hair, what's left of it, really thanks you! Ha!   

Esteemed Contributor

My hair loss was caused by a wheat allergy.  My hair started coming back when I eliminated all wheat products from my diet.