Respected Contributor

Hair loss cause in your experience?

If you've had hair loss issues, did you ultimately find a cause? I've been experiencing it and I'm on the hunt to try and figure out the cause...if possible. Saw my cardiologist last week questioning him about a beta blocker (Carvedilol) I'm on. He said he doubted that could be the reason...I think he thought I was nuts. Ha! I'm seeing my regular doctor on Thursday to quiz him. BTW, my thyroid has been checked already in Jan. so that's not it. After that, I guess it's on to a dermatologist to see what he says. I will add that I had knee scope surgery back in October...exactly five months ago today. I noticed my hair starting to fall out in gobs about two, maybe three months ago.

Anyway, enough about me. I'm just wondering if any of you who have had this issue were able to determine the cause. Oh, and what in the world did you do to keep from going bald?  

Thanks for any thoughts,

pup  

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Hair loss cause in your experience?

A lot of medications can cause hair loss. Check your medication side effects. I was on two medications that had these side effects. I have been off both for two months and no longer have this problem. I hope this helps.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

My experience in determining the etiology has been less than scientific.  I began noticing hair loss approx 8 months after thyriodectomy due to papillary carcinoma.  I was sure it was due to having to take Levothroxin replacement hormone.  My endocrinologist does not think so although he did adjust dose to see if hair loss would slow down or stop. IT did not.    So on to dermatologist who also cannot diagnose cause.  In essence all of the professional opinions gave me no real answers ,only things to try to help regenerate or slow loss.    The Rogaine option which didn't help much.  I bought the helmet style laser light appliance which i used faithfully for a year to no avail.  Doctors basically told me as women age many experience alopecia.  Not much help as you can imagine.  As time has gone by I am less self conscious and have learned to live with it at 71.  

So far I am still able to style my hair using a wig let now and then without having to face wearing full wig.  

I hope you get better information that may give you the results that satisfy you.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hair loss for me started in my late twenties. It wasn't until my mid forties that I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease (scleroderma) and my rheumatologist told me that the hair loss was a possible early symptom of this disease. I'm 61 now and I still struggle with hair loss.

I am currently using two hair laser devices...the iGrow helmet and also the Hairmax comb. Both have given me a lot of my hair back but it takes time and dedication. I also take bamboo silica supplements. Biotin did nothing for me.

I did go bald eventually back when it all started but the lasers saved me.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

I don't know the cause but my sister got a lot of good results with biotin. I had been using it with no results but then she said she used the 10,000 mcg dose. OH! I had just been using a much lower dose.

And when I started taking the higher dose I found this really does help! Our mother uses it too and it has helped her. I used to use Joan River's Good Hair Day which I loved but no longer need to use it.

I think a lot of doctors don't know either so they just attribute it to "aging" (great-thanks-not!) and might even tell you about biotin.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@pupwhipped  what you describe is sometimes the after effect of surgery.   after the major "shed"  is your hair continuing to fall out?  50 to 100 hairs per day is normal hair loss. daily falling out in clumps is not normal

i had a major hair shed in 2011 .  my hair came out in clumps and daily loss continued until 2014. i traced it to HRT . at the time i used a combi- patch and then an estrogen patch along with a tablet form of synthetic progesterone. the progesterone was the culprit. i stopped the HRT and my hair came back. my hair loss was at the temples and hairline. i took big doses of Biotin. i think it helped to keep some hair on my head!

Respected Contributor

this is a good resource for questions about hair loss. most doctors really can't answer your questions about hair loss. they many send you to a dermatologist, who in turn may send you to an endocrinologist. the dr who runs this website is an endocrinologist specializing in womens hormone conditions

http://www.hormonehelpny.com/column/alopecia.htm#Why%20am%20I%20Losing%20My%20Hair

Why am I Losing My Hair?
Alopecia is a general term and can refer to hair loss from any cause. Indeed many diseases can cause hair loss but most are quite rare. Only two are common: alopecia areata which is due to the immune system attacking the hair follicles and androgenic alopecia, which is hormonal.

Androgenic alopecia is extremely common. A reasonable estimate is 20% of women prior to menopause and up to 40% after that. In early stages it so mild as to escape notice by others but most affected women are only too aware that it is happening. A common abbreviation is AGA. Sometimes it is referred to as “androgenetic alopecia” to emphasize the genetic component but I do not like this term because some women with androgenic alopecia do not have it in their family.

Respected Contributor

Genetics.

Bet your mom/dad had similar issues.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I have had a lot of surgery - unfortunately! Every time my hair gets thin from the anesthesia drugs.  I find taking hair, skin & nails vitamins helps a lot.