Respected Contributor

Had the knee surgery last Friday 6/26

to remove the rt knee hardware from the replacement of 9/30/19. Got home yesterday 7/2. They put a spacer in, my knee pops and cracks, I'm on a 20 lb weight limit rt leg but I am only toe touching because I don't want to take a chance on further damage. I am on a walker, blood clot prevention pumps both legs, Picc line to give my iv antibiotics to myself  3 x's daily for about 5 more weeks. After healing of the infection which will take about 3 months total, it's back to surgery for another right knee replacement. The incision on my knee goes down further on my leg, doctor said the infection was in the knee and down into my leg, staph aureus but unsure how it happened. I am told 1-2 % of replacements in up with infections within 1-10 years post surgery. This has been a ordeal but I have to think positive and expect full recovery. I must be ready for the July 2021 Cruise to Mexico(my first ever) that we canceled from May of this year because of the virus. Hope the virus is under control by then or at least a vacine is available.

Honored Contributor

Re: Had the knee surgery last Friday 6/26

@Goodie2shoes -

I think you are amazing!

With all you have been through and still to be brave, courageous, and hopeful! I hope "the sun will come out tomorrow" for you!Keep on staying strong like you are and I hope you get to go on that cruiseSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Super Contributor

Happy 4th. A positive attitude is helpfull. Like look at the glass half full. The nuns taught us that you are as strong as the cross you have to carry. It looks like you have everything under control.Woman Very Happy

Valued Contributor

Your attitude will certainly speed your recovery.  Wishing you all clear skies from here on.  Best of luck to you.

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes 

Is good to see your update. Things appear to be going well for you right now and hopefully they continue on the same path for you.

Reading your optimism with all these issues is admirable. That in itself is a big factor in all types of healing. Wishing you nothing but the best now and in the rest of the phases of this journey.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes,

Am glad to hear this initial surgery is over and you are home!    

Also glad you know what type of bacteria you were harboring inside the knee.   My dad died from staph aureus which shut down his kidneys, so it annoys me that your Dr. did not culture the drainage in the very beginning of this ordeal.  We carry common staph aureus on our skin, and can easily infect ourselves with this bacteria from simple things like a scratch with our fingernail or a nick with a razor.  

My best wishes to you as you heal!

Respected Contributor

@on the bay  wrote:

I think you are amazing!

With all you have been through and still to be brave, courageous, and hopeful! I hope "the sun will come out tomorrow" for you!Keep on staying strong like you are and I hope you get to go on that cruise

Thank you so much ! I just can't let this keep me down, I have a 4 yo grandson who calls me "G" and he keeps asking me how I am doing so I say I'm getting better. I just love him so much and can't wait to return to our lunch dates at Applebee's, just me and him. 

Respected Contributor

@Goodie2shoes   Rest, relax and be restored!   I pray that you will continue to improve and God teaches us to be of good cheer.   You sound very optimistic and Mexico is calling your name.

Esteemed Contributor

@Goodie2shoes  I hope everything goes well for you in your recovery and that you will enjoy every minute of that cruise.  Hopefully, the virus will be well under control before then.  Get plenty of rest, eat well, keep a positive attitude, and follow doctor's orders and you will be fine.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Oh my I am so sorry I did not know you developed an infection in your knee, my DH developed an infection 10 days after hip surgery. He was lucky they were able to replace the hardware the same day the cleared out the infection. He was on IV antibiotics for 8 weeks then Levaquin for 6 weeks and since then he has been on Amoxicillian 500mg two times a day. He is lucky to be alive

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.