Regular Contributor

You did not have the InFluenza. It was another virus. InFluenza involves the entire body not just the stomach. 

influenza you will have high fever, chills, aches vomiting for several days.

Esteemed Contributor

Some people experience side effects of the innocculation which may feel like the "flu."  The flu last more than two days.

Honored Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

I got the shots for the really bad flu, this must have been down a step, but geez!!! It knocked me for a loop.  Out of nowhere, it came on. I would sleep 3 hrs. at a stretch, then had to move because my side or neck hurt, from not moving. It was only stomach sickness. But maybe this time (since it's been years since I had the flu) this really wiped me out. I heard MI had been hit by the flu, but no one else had it I know of. Where I got it, is really curious. It was days since I'd been anywhere I might have picked it up at.

So, I've done my bit. I want no more of that business.

Just wonder if others on here got it too, even though they had the flu shots. Who knows anymore? I think I got the shot early Dec. to cover Jan and Feb. Oh well.....

Hope everyone else is ok.

There is no such thing as the stomach flu. You probably had something else.

Feel better. It's good to know that the flu shot worked and you had no respiratory illness.

@qualitygal - I think @Trinity11 is right.  Since you said it was in your stomach it sounds more like the norovirus (an intestinal virus) that is going around and highly contagious.  But, no matter what it is I hope you're feeling better.

Yes to this. Influenza (for which you get the flu shot) is a completely different thing. If you were vomiting, it was gastroenteritis, a pretty generic term. It could have been norovirus, rotavirus, food poisoning (E. coli, Salmonella, etc), or something else.

You can learn more about influenza and stomach flu here: http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/flu-guide/what-is-flu#1

Regular Contributor

The flu shot does not prevent stomach viruses.  Boy do I wish there was a shot that did!

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal,

Sounds like you had the highly contagious gastro intestinal virus.   This can be acquired thru contact, or airborne transmission; it could have been on any money you handled, your newspaper, or your mail.   My trucker daughter and her co-driver caught this last week during their 7 day run west.   Co-driver caught it first, and despite their best efforts, my daughter had it within 48 hours.    I agree that this virus is not covered by the flu shot, regardless of the shot you took.  This form of norovirus is quite widespread this time of year.

Glad you are feeling better!  

Honored Contributor

Re: Had the flu Mon. & Tue.

[ Edited ]

@prisrob wrote:

You did not have the InFluenza. It was another virus. InFluenza involves the entire body not just the stomach. 

influenza you will have high fever, chills, aches vomiting for several days.

I had fever, chills, aches and did get sick to my stomach for 2 days. That's how I get the flu. All I know, is that, whatever it was, it's gone now. Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@SeaMaiden Because of the severity of one of  of my illnesses, it was an acceptable answer to me, I have 3 doctors that I see on a regular basis that consult one another regarding my treatment, I had done research prior to my asking and did consult with the other two to verify that this was an accurate statement, sorry I should have been more detailed!

@CareBears wrote:

@SeaMaiden Because of the severity of one of  of my illnesses, it was an acceptable answer to me, I have 3 doctors that I see on a regular basis that consult one another regarding my treatment, I had done research prior to my asking and did consult with the other two to verify that this was an accurate statement, sorry I should have been more detailed!

It seems like a perfectly acceptable answer. 

When you get a vaccine, your body builds up an immunity as if it is fighting off the disease itself (which is how we become immune to a firus).  Sometimes, we may experience mild syptoms after the vaccine, but they are far less severe than if we get the disease itself.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal

Even if you get the flu vaccine you can still get the flu, but it will be milder.

I got the flu this year even though I'd had the vaccine, but the vaccine may have saved my life because mine was milder than the full-force flu and I'm autoimmune..

Where I live, people are dying of this flu.  You and I are lucky we had help from the vaccine.

Honored Contributor

I get a flu shot and a pneumonia shot every year since I was about 45 when I came down with Pumonary Sarcoidosis and my immune system became seriously compromised.

My dear Father contracted the deadly flu of 1918 and the doctor did not expect him to live to the morning!  He was 3 years old.  Tough little guy lived.... flu shots are are a miracle, we're lucky to have them.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I've had my flu shot, as I do every year, but am also perhaps dodging the bullet because I have been largely housebound since early November and not out and about to be exposed. Now that I'm ready to venture out again, I'm aware I'll be exposing myself in the height of flu season :-( We've had several deaths reported locally like others.

Now if everywhere I want to go wasn't in danger of flooding...

I second that there are stomach viruses, not stomach influenza, and that you may feel kwappy for a few days but getting a flu shot with DEAD virus does not "give you the flu." You have a reaction to the vaccine - your body is ramping up producing antibodies. The *rare* times a person gets actual, verifiable flu after a flu shot, they were already incubating it before they got the shot.

I was veeery popular as a 5 year old (NOT). I'd had my DPT  shot, and had a birthday party. Three of the kids at my party came down with whooping cough, as did I (mild case for me). None of the mothers believed that I'd had the vaccine and that my mom had no clue I was incubating it anyway, beforehand. It does happen, but it's not an everyday occurrence.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all