Valued Contributor

Had the COVID-19 test today

[ Edited ]

I gotta tell someone. I've been sick for 8 or 9 days now. Realized Saturday that this illness is getting worse, did the screening thing online for my doctor group and they set me up to get the COVID test. Their screening asks about stomach issues as well as cough and fever. It creeps up slow. Got there a little earlier than my time but I was 8th car in line. Two nasal swabs, not pleasant but I've had much worse done to me. Now I wait 3-5 days for the results. My daughter who lives in another city and whom I have not seen since this all started has it much worse. I told her to get steroids from her doctor and they also prescribed an inhaler and antibiotics for her. I was nauseous and had intestinal upset last week, runny nose and sore throat, chills, and then the fatigue set in. Lost five pounds from hardly eating. The stomach is better but now I get a little breathless at times. Ribs hurt sometimes. No fever and no cough. My daughter had the same, no cough and no fever, but her breathing is or was worse. Am wearing my winter clothes in 70 degree weather, as is am so chilled. We are having a resurgence here and maybe this is a mutation that doesn't involve that awful coughing? But yes I always wear a mask and don't socialize. Husband doesn't have it yet.

EDIT -- it's negative but I am still sick... sigh

Trusted Contributor

Re: Had the COVID-19 test today

I am so sorry you are going through this. Please keep your doctor informed and of course take care of yourself. Hope you get to feeling better fast and you turn the corner very soon with this. I will keep you in my prayers, Dotty.  

Respected Contributor

Take care of yourself. Rest when you want to rest. Force yourself to eat and drink.

Honored Contributor

@Growing   Good luck on the outcome.  Hope you start to feel better soon but in the meantime, get lots of rest.  Let us know about the test.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Growing So sorry about your situation. Hope you feel better soon. Be sure to rest as much as you can, wishing you well.

Trusted Contributor

I'm sorry to hear you are going through this awful thing.  It's good though that you consulted with your doctor.  Just go easy and get lots of rest.

Wishing you a quick road to recovery and feeling better,

~LdyBugz

Esteemed Contributor

@Growing My fingers are crossed for you.....wishing you a good outcome (good results from the test).

Trusted Contributor

Stay strong. I had it back in March when I had to beg for a test. There were no testing sites, and at that time they were not even sure how to treat it or at least what to do to minimize how miserable I felt.

I never had a fever, at all, but I was freezing cold. I slept most of the day and night, making sure that I drank a lot of water in the times I was awake. My Dr said to up my dose of zinc and Vitamin D as he said they were the two things that boosts the immune system.

Then they lost my test results. It was awful. By that time I had a cough, and my DR finally decided to put my on steroids. The kind you take 2 first day and titrate down for 5 days. I'll tell you what, the steroids were a godsend. By the time I got to the end of 5 days I could not believe how much better I felt. All the inflammation (which is what was making feel so awful) was knocked right down by the steroids.

I hope you are negative, but I just told my story to say that even though it is scary if you do test positive, not everyone gets the worst case possible. Of course, your Dr will decide what will help you because they have different protocols for different symptoms now. They have come a long way in treating it.

After I was feeling better (not 100% but much better) they finally found my test results that somehow made their way to a lab in Minnesota. Obviously, it only confirmed what I knew and thank goodness for my Dr who just went ahead and treated me. Thank goodness the testing is much more reliable now too. How mine ever got to MN is still a mystery.

I am sorry your daughter has it too. The steroids really helped me. I hope you both feel better. I read that the virus has mutated a little bit, but not enough that they would treat it any different. Everyone gets such different symptoms. For me, it was similar to having a bad case of pneumonia.

I just want it to go away. 2020 has been quite the year for the history books.

Esteemed Contributor

I am sorry for what you are going through, but I am optimistic that you will receive good care and recover.  I will be thinking of you and your daughter and praying that this will soon be a memory.  Hugs to you.  Please let us know how you are doing.

Trusted Contributor

Please take care of yourself and know you are in our thoughts and prayers.