Honored Contributor

Re: Had teeth cleaned, now gold crowns are dull

@colliegirls wrote:

Gold crowns????

Yes, a lot of us were given the choice of gold vrs porcelain crowns, the reason being that porcelain does not "give" and gold will slightly and was preferable because of that.

I had a bad dentist as a kid... long story short, he drilled every striation he saw whether it was a cavity or not resulting in the degradation of all my back teeth.  When I was finally taken to another dentist for a second opinion .... all that work was suspect as being not necessary!  But the result was that my back teeth required crowns to stop them from splitting.  So I have (left) now at least four gold crowns.  Over the years I've opted for the porcelain.  But I'd be very upset too that they were made rough from an abrasive, not because of the look but because they would then feel rough in my mouth!

I'd definitely go back to that dentist and complain about it.....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Well, I've learned something from this thread!  Had no idea that anyone other than show business types got gold teeth.  Obviously, singers don't get them because their whole mouth can sometimes be seen inside and the look they'd want is white.

Those porcelain crowns definitely do crack and have to be replaced but most people, imo, can't afford gold crowns.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

Well, I've learned something from this thread!  Had no idea that anyone other than show business types got gold teeth.  Obviously, singers don't get them because their whole mouth can sometimes be seen inside and the look they'd want is white.

Those porcelain crowns definitely do crack and have to be replaced but most people, imo, can't afford gold crowns.

I didn't realize elite people got gold crowns.  LOL  I'm serious.  I just thought that's what you get when you get a crown.

You know what?  I just looked in the mirror with a flashlight and I have ONE silver colored crown and ONE gold crown.  Yikes!  Mine don't even match.  I'm kind of OCD and that bothers me.  LOL  I thought they were both gold.  That's how noticable they are.

I do know my dentist told me in advance to start saving up because I need another one and they are expensive.

I don't mine them being gold as long as they don't show too much.  I wouldn't want them  on the front.

BTW, when DH and I met and married his front tooth was gold!  He got it when he was a kid Probably in the 60's and don't know what possessed his mother to do that.  Shortly after we married, he had an accident at work and it knocked his gold cap off his front tooth.  I was never so glad!  He got it replaced with a white one.

Respected Contributor

Your hygienist probably applied too much pressure and too abrasive paste while polishing. And it was wrong.

Please, find some older school dentist and ask to repolish your crowns. Whoever knows business  knows how to do that, they have special tools( rubber) for gold. 

As for the choice of material, gold is the best for functioning and for gum tissue too.But of course for the back teeth !!!!  And the tooth preparation is less invasive for a gold crown.,as long as it doesn't go opposite the porcelain crown.

Super Contributor

I have three gold crowns on back molars.  At that time I was told gold was the toughest substance to withstand the grinding and actually did not cost more.   I have never noticed after a cleaning whether or not they dull but I have a cleaning appointment tomorrow afternoon, I'll let you know.

Honored Contributor

@PhatCat wrote:

I have three gold crowns on back molars.  At that time I was told gold was the toughest substance to withstand the grinding and actually did not cost more.   I have never noticed after a cleaning whether or not they dull but I have a cleaning appointment tomorrow afternoon, I'll let you know.

At the time (back in the day) the cost of gold was only marginally more.  Of course today the cost of gold is very high.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Valued Contributor

This post has been removed by QVC. Could be seen as aggressive to other posters, please reword without abbreviations for inappropriate words.

Honored Contributor

@kahootz wrote:

I am not a happy camper right now.  I just went to a new dentist today for an exam and teeth cleaning.  I have three gold crowns in my mouth that I've had forever.  They are towards the back, so you really don't see them when I smile.  I love that they are so smooth and durable.  Anyway, when I got back home I looked in my makeup mirror and was not happy to see that they are dull now.  It's like if you put an abbrasive substance on your car and it dulled the paint.  I've had my teeth cleaned every six months for as long as I can remember and have never had them look this way.  Was  the dental hygenist not supposed to use the polish on these?  I'm going to call the dentist on Monday, but am kind of furious right now.

@kahootz

So, did you call the dentist ... or what?    

In the future. go with something more natural ... like porcelain.    JMO

Super Contributor

Yes, I went back the next day.  They (the dentist and hygienist) weren't sure what happened except the polish must have scratched them up.  The dentist polished them so they would feel smooth on my teeth.  Of course all my new crowns are porcelain, but I've had these gold ones for probably 30 years.  Even the dentist said there is nothing more durable and stronger than the gold.  And trust me, I've gone through braces twice and I am very picky about my pearly whites and flashing a nice smile!