Super Contributor

Had teeth cleaned, now gold crowns are dull

I am not a happy camper right now.  I just went to a new dentist today for an exam and teeth cleaning.  I have three gold crowns in my mouth that I've had forever.  They are towards the back, so you really don't see them when I smile.  I love that they are so smooth and durable.  Anyway, when I got back home I looked in my makeup mirror and was not happy to see that they are dull now.  It's like if you put an abbrasive substance on your car and it dulled the paint.  I've had my teeth cleaned every six months for as long as I can remember and have never had them look this way.  Was  the dental hygenist not supposed to use the polish on these?  I'm going to call the dentist on Monday, but am kind of furious right now.

Honored Contributor

Re: Had teeth cleaned, now gold crowns are dull

The last thing I want are shiny, gleaming gold crowns.  The last thing I'd worry about is if they suddenly went from bright to dull or vice versa.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Slowly I've been getting all of my silver fillings replaced with ceramic. All of my crowns have always been white. Any reason why you got gold? Wow, that is so obvious when you talk or smile. I'd talk about getting them replaced for a more natural look.

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

Gold crowns????

Respected Contributor

I'm not sure why they would be dull now. Please, update us after you talk to the dentist office. 

Honored Contributor

If they are in the back and you can't see them why would you care? To me gold crowns would be an extreme excessive waste of money, so I can't really sympathise. 

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Slowly I've been getting all of my silver fillings replaced with ceramic. All of my crowns have always been white. Any reason why you got gold? Wow, that is so obvious when you talk or smile. I'd talk about getting them replaced for a more natural look.

I agree. I don't even like that my bridges have that silver edge at the bottom though the remainder is natural.

Respected Contributor

The OP states that she has had these gold crowns for a long time. They were not a recent acquisition.  Gold dental work was common years ago.  My father had several gold crowns and gold on a partial bridge that he got in Europe a very long time ago.

Honored Contributor

Who would know that the gold was dull? Who is looking at them? Why would you care?

Super Contributor

I love my gold crowns, way better than the porcelain ones I have.  As I stated, they are at the back of my mouth - so you can't see them when I smile.  I've had them for over 30 years and they are the most durable thing you could put in your mouth. Even the "upscale" dentist I went to said there is nothing better than gold.  I'm concerned because they probably rubbed off part of the gold when doing so.  One looks like it has a small pit in it now.  I realize this may be a small thing to some, but I don't want to have these replaced any time soon.  You can always count on some empathy here (ha, ha)!!!