Esteemed Contributor

Had a severe reaction to Augmentin.....

[ Edited ]

I had Gall bladder surgery a few weeks ago and last week I was getting a low grade fever off and on.....Surgeon prescribed Augmentin, when my bloodwork showed a small infection.

It made me so sick...nauseous...even though I was eating before taking it. I was having stomach pain...then a couple hours after my 3rd dose I was having chest pain/heaviness. I thought I was having a heart attack and sped off to the ER...

No heart attack....I was put through all the Cardiac tests and passed with flying colors. Medical Dr rolled his eyes when he heard I was taking the Augmentin and they didn't give me anymore in the Hospital.

Anyway after spending a few days in the Hospital, it was decided that I had a reaction to the Augmentin. I had never taken it before.

I have never had an allergic reaction to a drug....but I understand this is a powerful antibiotic.......

Trusted Contributor

Re: Had a severe reaction to Augmentin.....

How scary!  I've had bad reactions to meds, too, and always dread when I'm prescribed a new one.

Glad to hear you are doing OK now, and that it wasn't a heart attack.

Trusted Contributor

Augmenting is a penicillin derivative. Though I don't know if I'm actually allergic to it, I cannot tolerate it.  Even after one dose, I become so nauseated I can't keep it down or any food in me.  

I had to use it after some elective surgery and I found the same reaction in very little time after each dose. Worse yet, the urge to vomit was so powerful, I twice had no time to get to a bathroom and I vomited right in the street. Disgusting to have to manage like that and feel so helpless. On my own, I stopped taking it and called the doc for a substitute prescription.

All my medical professionals have made a note never to prescribe Augmentin to me. There are loads of good antibiotics to choose instead. 

Hope you feeling much better and healing quickly, @Nataliesgramma 

Honored Contributor

When my kids were young, their doctor prescribed augmenten once.  I took them off of it after 2 days and made the dr give us something else.  My kids were reacted so badly to it.  I won't take it either, not taking a chance.

Speaking of antibiotics.  I had a horrible reaction to Levoquin.  It actually shut down my kidneys.  Luckily they came back on their own when I quit taking it. I had part of kidney removed when I was in college so I'm hyper-aware of how they are functioning.

Trusted Contributor

@Nataliesgramma    I had the same thing happen to me with Clindamyacin.  I honestly thought I was having a heart attack...combined with severe throwing up.  It's scary for sure.   Now I try to weigh whether to take anything or ride it out....most antibiotics are just too strong for me...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's one of the few antibiotics my daughter can take and one that my husband cannot take.

After seeing how my daughter and niece reacted to Cipro and how my mother reacted to Levaquin I refuse to take any drug from that class of drugs.

Respected Contributor

Yay for your heart.  But, I hope they started effective treatment,  for the 'infection,' with a med you could tolerate,  while you were captive in the hospital.

Did they ever identify the cause of the 'small' infection?  I do hope all is cleared up and you're feeling well.   

Esteemed Contributor

I had a bad reaction to augmentin, too.

Talking to my pharmacist, it has galvaunic acid added to it as a "kicker" ingredient (his terms) that makes the antibiotic work better.

It's the galvaunic acid that affects your liver metabolism.

Honored Contributor

I refuse Augmentin because I'm allergic to penicillin.

I also can't take Macrobid.

You did the right thing by getting checked out.

Reactions to any drugs can have disastrous long term effects.

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I had Gall bladder surgery a few weeks ago and last week I was getting a low grade fever off and on.....Surgeon prescribed Augmentin, when my bloodwork showed a small infection.

It made me so sick...nauseous...even though I was eating before taking it. I was having stomach pain...then a couple hours after my 3rd dose I was having chest pain/heaviness. I thought I was having a heart attack and sped off to the ER...

No heart attack....I was put through all the Cardiac tests and passed with flying colors. Medical Dr rolled his eyes when he heard I was taking the Augmentin and they didn't give me anymore in the Hospital.

Anyway after spending a few days in the Hospital, it was decided that I had a reaction to the Augmentin. I had never taken it before.

I have never had an allergic reaction to a drug....but I understand this is a powerful antibiotic.......

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I had a bad reaction to augmentin, too.

Talking to my pharmacist, it has galvaunic acid added to it as a "kicker" ingredient (his terms) that makes the antibiotic work better.

It's the galvaunic acid that affects your liver metabolism.

That's absolutely right.  It is amoxicillin (type of penicillin) mixed with clavulanate acid.  

So sorry you had an adverse reaction @Nataliesgramma .  But glad you are feeling better.  Smiley Happy