Trusted Contributor

I am impressed with the demos on this machine and was interested in anyone's experience using it.

I have a hip replacement and can't call my doc today to see if it's OK but can't see any issue with putting undue stress on the prosthetic...I'm most interested in its effectiveness on lower back flexibility as, although I don't have pain, I do have deterioration in spine that may become a problem as time goes on. Any comments? Thanks!

Respected Contributor

I think these inversion devices are risky at best. Good for you, checking with your doctor. I do know that anyone with high blood pressure or glaucoma should avoid inversion.

Super Contributor

I've used one for decades. I also use an inversion machine that allows me to be in a seated position, but inverted, stretching out the curve of the lower back. My issues were and are muscular, however, not really bone-related.

Your situation is tricky, so of course you must check with your doctor, but this is what I could imagine for you: Once you get it set up, and the ankle holder adjusted to your height, it would be nice to just lie in the horizontal position, and gently rock "down" and back, gently decompressing the vertebrae. Maybe just a 30 degree movement. GENTLY! You would be increasing blood circulation and thus providing more of the needed, nourishing oxygen and nutrients around the vertebrae. When I started using it years ago I'd go completely vertical and do situps on the darn thing lol, but that is all past. Gentle decompression would probably help you. At the very least, it's nice to be in that floating position and gently rock. Like floating on water, with no worry about going under.

Con: My latest Teeter shipped in one box, hugely unwieldy and difficult to handle. I actually injured my back trying to handle it. They should ship in two boxes, and I've sugessted it to them but to no avail. If you have someone to set it up for you, that would be great! But of course, your doctor should be involved. - Bird

Trusted Contributor

happygal is right. Inversion tables are not a good idea for people with high blood pressure, GERD, hiatal hernias, Glaucoma, pregnancy, high intracranial pressure, vertigo, ankle problems, etc. Check with your doctor. You can get cheaper inversion tables from WalMart, Amazon, etc.

Valued Contributor
FYI I was at Costco with my son yesterday afternoon. They were offering Teeter Hang Up for $229 and change.
Respected Contributor

On 1/3/2015 lacey1 said:

happygal is right. Inversion tables are not a good idea for people with high blood pressure, GERD, Glaucoma, pregnancy, high intracranial pressure, vertigo, ankle problems, etc. Check with your doctor. You can get cheaper inversion tables from WalMart, Amazon, etc.

The Bird, glad to hear you have gotten good use from yours. I suspect, though, that in many cases they are like the exercise bikes and treadmills which sit unused.

If you want to really be on a budget, lay on the floor on your back to decompress the spine; you can even do it with your legs up a wall.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks to all, and, "happy", I think you made great points for alternatives to the Teeter...I checked the reviews and definitely decided against purchase as many comments pointed out assembly problems that arose in direct contradiction to Roger's frequent mention of "1-2-3 assembly." Then, there was the issue of RETURN POSTAGE on the thing that could run over $100! and, in addition, involve getting it back in the box, as was pointed out here.

I bought a Pilate Power Gym from HSN about 3 years ago and use it every other day with great success. My body has definitely transformed and I'm very happy with that purchase.

However, I'm always looking for additional pieces of equipment that I can fit in my home (small) and do something different and effective.

Respected Contributor
I've wanted to get this for years and once I move I plan to buy it, as space is an issue in my current location. Teeter is a good brand and I would hesitate buying another machine just because it may be cheaper. Do your research.
"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James