Respected Contributor

i was on a Combi patch (estrogen/ progesterone) for 4 yrs and then an estrogen patch plus progesterone tabs.  i still have my uterus and ovaries so i needed the progesterone.   but the progesterone made my hair fall out in clumps so i quit the HRT. no problems going off HRT and no more hot flashes and night sweats.

i do feel the lack of hormones has changed my appearance. my skin used to glow, i felt great and i had tons of energy. but they are synthetic hormones...

i didn't want the risk of a stroke or BC. and didnt want to be bald!!!

Respected Contributor

Everyone has to make medical decisions based on what is best for them and their medical history.  There are some women who are obviously not good candidates for HRT.  Hopefully, though, a competent doctor knowledgeable about the latest research is part of the equation.  Mine is up on all the latest and knows my medical history.  He has told me that I can stay on HRT as long as I desire and actually encourages it.  He says it helps so many areas of the body:  urogenital, lower risk of colon cancer, lower osteoporosis risk, reduction in cardiovascular disease, blood vessel health, skin/hair, etc.  I had to go off HRT 4 years ago to have some tests run, and my symptoms were worse then than when menopause started 10 years ago.  Do your research.  There is an exact ratio of progestin/estrodiol to take where you get all the benefits of HRT without the harm.  My doctor has prescribed this exact dosage.  Dr. Barbara Taylor is a retired gynecologist specializing in menopause.  Her website and videos are invaluable.  

https://menopausetaylor.me/ 

Respected Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

I never stopped taking it. Why stop? I feel great on it, and I don't give into the media hooplah about cancer. I've had genetic testing done and feel pretty secure that it works for me, without worrying about cancer. But then again, I go to a functional medicine Dr. and not a conventional doctor. There's a huge difference. 

I feel the same way, except that I am blessed that I go to a wonderful conventional doctor who stays abreast of the latest research!  You will have to pry my HRT out of my cold hands when I die!

Honored Contributor

@LuvmyLab wrote:

I consider myself lucky in that I have never ever had a menopausal symptom and never needed to go on HRT.

@LuvmyLab   I think it is the way it should be...  perimenopause and Menopause is nothing more than another chapter in a woman's life like getting her period.   A bit of discomfort but the way the media talks up menopause it has become a dreaded moment in a woman's life. I think all the drama about it makes women fear it which adds to the body reacting like it is a disease. 

Now, If a young woman loses her uterus early, than yes, the situation is different as that is not a natural condition and necessary medication would  be needed to replace the estrogen.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@LuvmyLab wrote:

I consider myself lucky in that I have never ever had a menopausal symptom and never needed to go on HRT.

@LuvmyLab   I think it is the way it should be...  perimenopause and Menopause is nothing more than another chapter in a woman's life like getting her period.   A bit of discomfort but the way the media talks up menopause it has become a dreaded moment in a woman's life. I think all the drama about it makes women fear it which adds to the body reacting like it is a disease. 

Now, If a young woman loses her uterus early, than yes, the situation is different as that is not a natural condition and necessary medication would  be needed to replace the estrogen.

Not everyone has a 'bit of discomfort' going through menopause. For some of us, it is NOT just another chapter.  I went through Premature Ovarian Failure at 40.   I never lost my uterus.  My ovaries just failed early.  I stopped getting my period.

For me it was debilitating.  I could NOT function with the symptoms,  They were FAR worse than any period I had ever had.  It was destroying my life and no, I am not a 'drama' person.  The symptoms were very real.

I have been on HRT using a BioIdentical compound mixture from my Pharmacy.  I will never go off either.

Everyone is different!!!!!! 

Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

i was on a Combi patch (estrogen/ progesterone) for 4 yrs and then an estrogen patch plus progesterone tabs.  i still have my uterus and ovaries so i needed the progesterone.   but the progesterone made my hair fall out in clumps so i quit the HRT. no problems going off HRT and no more hot flashes and night sweats.

i do feel the lack of hormones has changed my appearance. my skin used to glow, i felt great and i had tons of energy. but they are synthetic hormones...

i didn't want the risk of a stroke or BC. and didnt want to be bald!!!

@CatsyCline I'm currently on the patch + progesterone pills.  For me, it wasn't the hot flashes, which I did have, but the waking up in the middle of the night and unable to get comfortable to go back to sleep.  I highly value a good night's sleep.  I have had no issues with hair loss.  Mostly, I notice the progesterone puts me to sleep which really has never been a problem for me anyways.  I guess it's the estrogen part that keeps me asleep.

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@LuvmyLab wrote:

Not everyone has a 'bit of discomfort' going through menopause. For some of us, it is NOT just another chapter.  I went through Premature Ovarian Failure at 40.   I never lost my uterus.  My ovaries just failed early.  I stopped getting my period.

For me it was debilitating.  I could NOT function with the symptoms,  They were FAR worse than any period I had ever had.  It was destroying my life and no, I am not a 'drama' person.  The symptoms were very real.

I have been on HRT using a BioIdentical compound mixture from my Pharmacy.  I will never go off either.

Everyone is different!!!!!! 

@RespectLife    yes. Everyone has a CHOICE and every situation is different. 

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden if you had gone through what some of us have gone/are still going through, I don't think you would have been so nonchalant with your wording (a bit of discomfort). Without HRT, the quality of my life would be awful. I have had every symptom of menopause a woman can have, and none of them were mild. But the worst symptom I have is v@ginal atrophy. If you don't know what that is, look it up. Besides HRT, I have to use a hormonal v@ginal cream in order not to have itching, burning, and to be able to be intimate with my husband. 

There are all sorts of things our bodies do as we get older that are considered to be natural/normal...even things where sometimes pain is a result.   Does that mean that if a medication is out there that can help us…and that we can take safely…that we shouldn't do it? That we should just put up with the symptom or pain, because it's natural? Not in my book.

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

@SeaMaiden if you had gone through what some of us have gone/are still going through, I don't think you would have been so nonchalant with your wording (a bit of discomfort). Without HRT, the quality of my life would be awful. I have had every symptom of menopause a woman can have, and none of them were mild. But the worst symptom I have is v@ginal atrophy. If you don't know what that is, look it up. Besides HRT, I have to use a hormonal v@ginal cream in order not to have itching, burning, and to be able to be intimate with my husband. 

There are all sorts of things our bodies do as we get older that are considered to be natural/normal...even things where sometimes pain is a result.   Does that mean that if a medication is out there that can help us…and that we can take safely…that we shouldn't do it? That we should just put up with the symptom or pain, because it's natural? Not in my book.

@Ainhisg   I am sorry you had a hard time with Menopause and I by no means want to say that  all  symptoms are the same or mild.  I am happy you found something to help you feel better. 

Honored Contributor

EC8DB47D-8149-4578-988B-1CC76884F535.jpeg