Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: HOW DO YOU TAKE CALCIUM?

[ Edited ]

I prefer to take my calcium as milk whenever possible. But I do use Tum-like calcium/antacids from Sam's club as well.

Whatever you decide, be sure to take your calcium with something that gives you vitamins D &K, and do your weight bearing exercises to help direct that calcium into your porous bones.

Without D, K, and weight bearing exercise, over time, supplemental calcium is more likely to be deposited in soft tissues, like brain, heart valve, thyroid gland, etc. where it causes trouble.

Honored Contributor

@newname0 wrote:

Several years ago they came out with a study of women 65 and older who had taken calcium tablets and they found out many were dying of heart attacks and had evidence of calcium in their heart muscles  Since reading that I have stopped taking calcium tablets and get it through food only (like green leafy vegetables, milk, etc.)

This is where the Vit K2 comes into play, it keeps the calcium away from the heart. 

Honored Contributor

I take a silica supplement, in addition to a small amount of calcium, to help keep my bones from becoming thin. The silica brought my low bone density back up to normal. 

Honored Contributor

a rock hard tablet, milk, and 1 or 2 tums chewable a day.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I eat so much plain non-fat yogurt that I make with my instant pot and use a lot of almond milk in baking and with cereal, I think I would overdose on calcium if I took supplements. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

@newname0 wrote:

Several years ago they came out with a study of women 65 and older who had taken calcium tablets and they found out many were dying of heart attacks and had evidence of calcium in their heart muscles  Since reading that I have stopped taking calcium tablets and get it through food only (like green leafy vegetables, milk, etc.)

I remember that.  Self medicating even with supplements is a bad idea.  I only take calcium because I was deficient and my doctor told me to take 3 Citrical tablets.  And he does blood work twice a year.  I think people forget that all vitamins  and supplements are drugs.

Honored Contributor

@newname0 wrote:

@newname0    My doctor took me off calcium for that reason. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@catmama wrote:

I've used Andrew';s calcium for years and take it with my other vitamins.  I've never had an issue with his product.  

@catmama 

But what form is it .... solid, liquid, powder ... or what?

Honored Contributor

Some years ago there was a test for the dissolvability of calcium tablets that involved a glass of water and a little vinegar to replicate stomach acid.  You dropped in a tablet and it was supposed to disintegrate in 5 min or so. I tested several brands and found name-brand calcium citrate tabs  dissolved very fast. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I had been taking a daily multivitamin with 300mg of calcium supplemented with a 400mg calcium tablet. I was surprised by my recent lab draw to see that my calcium levels were too high. The doctor told me to stop taking the calcium supplement but gave the green light to the multivitamin.