Honored Contributor

Re: HOW COMMON IS TB TESTING?

My father had to have a TB test before moving into an assisted living facility.  He had a blood test.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

When DH worked for a hospital (14 years) it was mandatory every year or lose your job

I can't remember the last time I had one

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As someone else mentioned, it is on the rise in some areas.

For some professions testing is a regular requirement.  Some physicians require it as a baseline. I think it is wise, as one can be a carrier without knowing, the symptoms can be dormant for years.  This way you can both be sure.

Data regarding the prevalence is available through CDC.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Occasional Contributor

My rheumatologist requires a TB test once a year.  I think it is related to the meds we take that can lower immunity.  

Esteemed Contributor

I've had both tests- blood and skin which were ordered by the rheumatologist.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Tnkrbl44

Hi there! I retired in 2018 in a health care setting for a county health clinic and we would routinely screen for TB. Many patients were from other countries and also depending on background, work, international travel, students or someone immunosuppressed with health issues all population would be tested. We no longer did the spot or TST test since it isn’t as accurate as the blood draw, QFT—quantiferon. It is a sensitive test cannot be left for weekend, needs to be processed right way. We as employees would also be tested. Many folks not born here were given the BCG shot as kids and this QFT isolates that which might give a false reading. Many people tested positive either by air travel or being in crowded places for a long duration of time. Doesn’t mean you have it just exposure. Chest X-rays would be performed, If signs symptoms aren’t there you’d be clear. Many people with active TB clearly demonstrate it and we’re isolated in a hospital. Not everyone gets TB, there are steps taken: Based of background history and test is positive, chest X-rays are done if positive patients need to collect 3 sputa, that’s observed and checked for growth…if positive treated and isolated,,, sorry so long… Not sure if this has changed since I retired. CDC has good info. Based on population, I am in Northern Ca., our county takes certain precautions…hopes this helps a bit.

Honored Contributor

I had the skin test done for TB back in the nineties and they did a series of pokes including one for a virus that reportedly everyone had so they could be sure your body would react to something. The TB test did nothing, but the other test blew up like crazy with a giant red spot and lots of itching. My doc laughed at seeing it and said my immune system was certainly working well and I clearly had not been exposed to TB. It took a couple of days and the better part of a tube of hydrocortisone to calm down the other test result. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have to have a TB test I think every year or two. I can’t remember. Also had to have one before starting a biologic. I have the spot blood test done. Not a big deal and I just get it done with my regular bloodwork. Biological can lower your immunity so that is the reason.

Honored Contributor

Well, this just got even dumber ....  for the third time I went over to the Lab today for my appointment at 2pm.   

I was informed that sorry, but they couldn't take my blood because it was afternoon and FedEx had come and gone and they couldn't keep the vial until tomorrow's pickup.  i was "supposed" to come to the lab before noon to have them draw blood.. 

I was told they only have Fed Ex pickups Mon thru Thursday, but last visit shejust  said to reschedule, but she didn't say come before the noon pickup because we can't keep your blood overnight. 

I'm already drafting a very stern letter .... and have another appt on Thursday at 10;30am.    If they come up with some other reason they can't do the draw, there WILL be yelling.

This is ridiculous. 

Esteemed Contributor

When I get my test I have to go before 3 pm Monday through Thursday.