Esteemed Contributor

Re: HELP ME .. Teeth Removed Today

DH has had a mouthful of implants that failed and now has dentures.  Uppers are wonderful but now, after 5 years, he has to have another $13,000 of work done on lowers.  Combo of replacing several implants and other complicated procedures.  Yes, there are more cost effective ways to do this but not if DH wants to eat what he's used to ( occasional steak and other "real" food).  Over last 10 years, including this newest stuff, we have invested over $40,000 into his mouth.  We are using very good, experienced dentist and surgeon; it is what it is.  Thankfully we have the resources to do this and thankfully I will never have to go through this stuff myself ( don't deal well with pain, period ).  We are so thankful for Care Credit ( where you can pay dental bills in excess of $1000 over several years with no interest).

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@rms1954 You won't have so much pain if you can get the swelling down.  Use your cold compresses.  Cold compresses change your world, believe me.

Do 20-30 min. on (with a paper towel next to your skin) 20 off.  Keep it up for one day before you ease up.  You'll be glad.

Eat scrambled eggs, fish, oatmeal, applesauce, greens, roasted vegetables, scalloped potatoes.

Super Contributor

I am so sorry you must deal with this! Never easy, is it? Last October, i had wisdom teeth removed. Additionally, i had cavities under two adjacent crowns and there was no way to save or recrown the two teeth. I opted for implants. In the interim, i have a flipper with two teeth on the lower right side of my mouth, a plate and wire hooks that attach to other teeth on both sides of my mouth. It took some getting used to and I had it adjusted several times over the last 6 months so that it didnt pinch or irritate. It took a few days to get used to putting it in and taking it out. I took tylenol for a few days and used both cold and used ice pack for swelling. Once the gums healed, things became much better. I receive my implants in 2-3 weeks and will say goodbye to the flipper.

Having said this, I have always had a fear of dentists. But my dentists worked with me regarding pain, swelling and the fit of this flipper thing. If I was uncomfortable or felt like the flipper was ill-fitting, i called. Most of the time it was minor adjustments.

(I even stepped on it and broke it!)

My point is this: while you are distressed right now, please advocate for yourself. Explain to your dentist what distresses you the most. Is the partial not fitting well? To tight? Too loose? Sitting to high or low in your mouth? Is your bite off? Pinching your gums? 

I hope you are able to resolve this soon. It is a big change and change is not always easy.

Honored Contributor

@shy bobcat wrote:

@rms1954 

I am so sorry you're having trouble with your partial.  I do hope you call your dentist and he sees you for an adjustment today.  Hope to hear from you later.  

@rms1954   cc: @shy bobcat     We are concerned about you.....are you feeling any better?

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@shy bobcat wrote:

@rms1954 

I am so sorry you're having trouble with your partial.  I do hope you call your dentist and he sees you for an adjustment today.  Hope to hear from you later.  

@rms1954   cc: @shy bobcat     We are concerned about you.....are you feeling any better?

No.  Worse. I just hate it.  I can't talk, eat.  I am just getting over pneumonia also.  I am down to 65 lbs.  I am very depressed and sad.  

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@shy bobcat wrote:

@rms1954 

No.  Worse. I just hate it.  I can't talk, eat.  I am just getting over pneumonia also.  I am down to 65 lbs.  I am very depressed and sad.  

@rms1954    If your weight is that low, you might seriously consider going  to the emergency room.   

I am shocked the dentist performed teeth removal when you have pneumonia.   

Please take care of your health.     

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

I feel so bad for you, @rms1954 .  

My daughter-in-law had something like what you’re describing for a front tooth. She would remove it when she ate, then it wasn’t in there giving her troubles. 

I sure hope you get some help for this problem soon. You can’t continue like this. 

Regular Contributor

@rms1954 I'm so sorry!  I have been in your position.  I had a flipper.  I was very pleased with how it looked but it was so difficult to eat and impossible to talk.  It was embarassing.  Give it a few days to see if you can adjust.  If not, demand they do something to make you comfortable.  If they can't, consult another dentist.  Take someone with you, if possible, for a second set of ears and to relay anything you may forget.  

Esteemed Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@shy bobcat wrote:

@rms1954 

My goodness, @rms1954 , your weight is dangerously low unless you are extremely short.  Have your dental problems been the reason for the weight loss?  Pneumonia is not fun at all.  I have had it and was miserable.  Perhaps you should go to the ER and have your vitals taken, be given an IV, or at least get checked out.  You have shared on here before that you suffer depression.  All of these other things going on are only compounding it.  Please get some help.

Where is your DH in this picture?  Is he able to help you at all?  We are pulling for you.  Be strong.  Only you can help yourself if your husband won't step in.  Again, we care.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

Wow, @rms1954 , I echo all here who are concerned for you. What an ordeal you've been through!  We're praying for you  and hope you feel better soon!