Respected Contributor

Re: HELP ME .. Teeth Removed Today

[ Edited ]

@rms1954   I'm sure the permanent one won't be as bad as this temporary one.  You probably have some swelling which is affecting how the temp one is fitting.

Call the dentist and hopefully by tomorrow you will feel better.

My first husband had a "clip on" bridge for his two front teeth that he lost when he was a kid.  He had no issues with eating or talking or anything, and only took it out when he wanted to clean it or freak out the kids.  I believe they are custom made for the roof of your mouth so the permanent once will fit perfectly.

Good luck, I hope once you talk with the dentist today or tomorrow you will get some more information and be more comfortable.  

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Hang on!!!!!     I just spent the past 4 months in your same situation.

That "temp" is NOT MEANT to eat with.    It's for "looks".    Mine was painful to wear......so I just stuck with my "covid mask" in public.

Now......about eating.   Cut your food up in tiny pieces.   Shove it in the back of your mouth.....and chew with your MOLARS only.

Good and easy food to eat in this situation:    Fish, omelettes, yogurt.   You NEED your protein.    Also.....mashed potatoes, stuffing, mac & cheese, noodle dishes.......   You get the idea.    It won't be so BAD after you get used to this new routine. 

I just got my permanent bridge about 10 days ago........Yeah, it was a relief!

YOU CAN DO THIS.    Di 

I have chewing problems and would like to piggyback on desrtDi's suggestions. Smoothies, chicken with no skin chewed by the molars, tuna salad sandwich, cut the bread into four or more pieces so you don't need your front teeth to bite and tear, leave chunks of celery out. Purée or finely mince onions in foods. Steam fresh broccoli and cauliflower in the steamable bags. Buy rices cauliflower. Butter medium soft or soft breads and tear before eating. Avoid crusty breads. Pasta is OK, especially in sauces. All cheeses are good. Avocado with fresh lemon juice is good. Hummus is good on chips that you chew with the motors, don't try biting into them with the front teeth. I've been able to do English muffins with butter lately. Didn't expect this so you might try it. 

You want to avid food that require your front teeth to bite into and tear off before chewing. Avoid raw lettuce, while slices of onions, pickles, apple slices, you can do baked apple or put it in a smoothie.

Super Contributor

I wish I could get a bridge! I can only have a partial with upper teeth missing on both sides. The partial covered the roof of my house. After months and years I gave up. It is so painful and it was adjusted so many times. The teeth I hooked the partial to ended up getting pushed out by the pressure of the partial and I lost 2 more teeth. Now I only have 4 teeth on top, the front ones. Even they are caps. I'm about to call another dentist. No way I can afford implants. The mask is kind of a relief for now, and so is working from home. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Hang on!!!!!     I just spent the past 4 months in your same situation.

That "temp" is NOT MEANT to eat with.    It's for "looks".    Mine was painful to wear......so I just stuck with my "covid mask" in public.

Now......about eating.   Cut your food up in tiny pieces.   Shove it in the back of your mouth.....and chew with your MOLARS only.

Good and easy food to eat in this situation:    Fish, omelettes, yogurt.   You NEED your protein.    Also.....mashed potatoes, stuffing, mac & cheese, noodle dishes.......   You get the idea.    It won't be so BAD after you get used to this new routine. 

I just got my permanent bridge about 10 days ago........Yeah, it was a relief!

YOU CAN DO THIS.    Di 

@Desertdi  What a generous, kind post.  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Trusted Contributor

I just had my permanent bridge put in yesterday. The temporary one was so good===looked good and fit perfectly that it was a shame to take it off and throw it away. Whoever put in your temporary must have done a terrible job. I would definitely get back there and have them do it right.

Valued Contributor

These temporary teeth things are such a pain, aren’t they?

I’ve got one at the moment too for a tooth I broke last summer.

You can’t eat or sleep with it so you have to keep taking it out. I wouldn’t bother with mine except that it’s needed to maintain the gap and protect the integrity of the other teeth. 

I’ve been cursing mine for 5 months now (I’ve chosen an implant rather than a bridge so it takes longer) ... just one more month to go and then I’m going to have some sort of celebratory hammer destruction of the thing!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rms1954 , don't cry. There are so many of us here, including myself, in your boots. I just got my temp, flipper teeth yesterday and yes, it will take getting used to. I had 4 upper teeth removed as mine were falling out. My sister is going thru this same thing. I did eat with mine today, but have been doing what I've been doing for the last 3 months getting to this point. Someone mentioned cutting your food up in small pieces and tucking it back to your back teeth to chew. That's what you have to do. We'll both be doing this for awhile waiting for our implants. I know it's uncomfortable, but just think how great you'll look when all is said and done. You take care, we're here for and with you.

Honored Contributor

SIX MONTHS???!!!    That is unacceptable.   I wish there was a way to get the permanent on WAY sooner than that.    

I'm sorry you are dealing with this but I wish they could get you taken care of without having to wait so long.  

I hope it gets better.   Take care.

Respected Contributor

@rms1954 - I hope you get the answers from your dentist and/or oral surgeon that will help you to eat and feel better. DesertDi gave you her heartfelt advice, from her own personal experience, and I hope that helps you, too. It sounds like the doctor and his/her staff did not give you enough of the information you needed to adjust to your temporary partial.  I hope you feel much better soon. 

Respected Contributor

I am so sorry that you are going through this, too, @dimin.  I hope there is a cost effective solution for you that will bring you relief.