Super Contributor

Re: HEADACHE UPDATE: LYME DISEASE

I live in an area with lots of ticks.  I (as well as several of my friends, we are all in the health care field) keep a supply of doxycycline in our medicine cabinets.  As soon as anyone pulls a deer tick off of themselves, they start the antibiotic and then get in to see their doctor.  

Valued Contributor

Hi @tends2dogs  was thinking of you today! Did  your husband feel ok to take the drive? How is he doing?

Esteemed Contributor

Hi @DianeJ2 , Yes, we made it back just fine. Thanks so much for asking. 

I wanted to let you know that half way through the 21 day Doxy regimen, he broke out in a rash similar to poison ivy.  In fact, we thought that was what it was because he had been working out in the yard, but it presented in places that wouldn't have been exposed to poison ivy.....if you get my drift. Woman Wink  He went to a walk in clinic (it was Sunday, of course!) because the itch was driving him nuts.  He filled the PA in about what all was going on.  He had never heard of the reaction from the treatment for Lyme.  He treated him for poison ivy, steroids for 5 days and some itch med.  IT DID NOTHING!  Usually with poison ivy, one day into the steroids you have relief.  I did some reading online and it said this was common (like you told me) and that some docs will pull them off the Doxy thinking it is a reaction to that.  DH finished the course a couple days ago, but is still itching and has the rash.  The good news is that it is drying up, but his skin is highly sensitive in those areas.  His headaches have backed off, but he is still on the topirimate.  He also feels like some of his energy is returning.  We have an appointment with his PCP August 23rd to bring him up to speed about all that has been going on. We are praying that the Doxy did it's job.  I am also following a homeopathic protocol for lyme.

Thanks for listening to our saga.  It is and will be a journey.  It helps to hear what others have experienced.  

I will keep you updated on any new developments - LOL - or just to let you know how things are going.

Thanks again, Diane.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@IslanderGirl62 wrote:

I live in an area with lots of ticks.  I (as well as several of my friends, we are all in the health care field) keep a supply of doxycycline in our medicine cabinets.  As soon as anyone pulls a deer tick off of themselves, they start the antibiotic and then get in to see their doctor.  

It's great that you have access to a prescribed med.  There were no refills for his Doxy so I can't add it to my stash. Woman Wink  Actually, we have no idea when he was exposed.  We never saw a tick or a rash.

Esteemed Contributor

@Trailrun23 wrote:

Prayers for your DH. About ten years ago, the assistant in my office had such unrelenting fatigue she had to quit her job. She was diagnosed with Lyme disease a month later. I think it is more easily diagnosed now, so your DH is fortunate in that. My assistant recovered but I know it was a long recovery. She never figured out how she got it, but had been at an outdoor wedding a few days prior to feeling severely fatigues, so she feels that was her contact with a tick. 

Thanks for the prayers, @Trailrun23 .  We certainly believe they help!  We feel very fortunate to have had a diagnosis so that we can move ahead with this.  We don't know when DH was exposed.  We never saw a tick or a rash.

Valued Contributor

@tends2dogs  Glad to hear the trip went well!  You must have been so relieved to be home. That's a long drive. Other than the rash and itching it sounds like he is starting to heal and get some strength back! 💖👏

Oh the herx sagas lol Yes it is hard to tell what's a true reaction sometimes. My very first doxy dose when they finally started to think Lyme not mono  (before my IV) was a plastic  capsule one. I could not keep it down no matter when or how I took it,   I'm fine with the tablets! It wasn't the doxy per se, it was the form. And I am highly allergic to sulpha and penicillin based meds. I found out the sulpha allergy after an entire week on Amoxicillin for a sinus infection. I was fine until the 7th day and suddenly an itch on my stomach turned into full blown hives. I wonder also if the sun while in the car irritated him. With doxy even a small sun ray can make you itch and bumpy.

I had alot of itching in... ahem.. certain places too with an antibiotic and I just eat or drink yogurt or kefir with probiotics in them. Your PCP or naruropath can guide you with supplement form. I tried a huge dose once when i wasn't well (50billion) and it did nothing. A naturopath told me to start smaller. Sometimes when your body is overwhelmed it's too much to deal with.  The lower dose of 10-25 helped! I eat the yogurt and unsweetened kefir mostly.  I'm not allergic to doxy I just herx. Still do if I take for sinus etc but they are mild. There  are Lactose free versions of. This might help him with the itch and rash and yeast from the doxy.  Green Valley Organic Lactose free unsweetened plain is what i love. Whole Foods I get it from. Has probiotics too.  I put blueberries in to sweeten or eat it plain.

The one thing I am iffy about is Lyme and steroids. Just a point to bring up with your PCP on the 23rd. I don't do well with them. Some do. Some Lyme patients in my group say as steroids weaken your immunity it is not good when you have lyme.. But if you need them what can you do?. I think there is a pred alternative steroid that's milder that starts with an "M" I will check my records. I am not sure about the steroid and Lyme connection  so research further. I will too.  Shocked but yet not that the PA didn't know about herxing. If that makes any sense 😊 Ask your PCP about this for future reference and also keeping an emergency 2 day doxy stash around (if you have a tick on you) . If he seems receptive push it for 3 😅 

Yes keep me updated! I would love to hear how things are going! Even a quiet good day for you both.. I  am happy to hear! I roll with the weird occurrences too 😅  

Esteemed Contributor

@DianeJ2 , @IslanderGirl62 , @Trailrun23 , @FatCatinCT , @Jersey Born  and others who responded to my thread:

UPDATE:  My DH finished the 3 weeks of Doxy.  He did go through a severe Herx reaction that presented as hives.  That lasted a good 3 weeks, but that is all gone now.  His headaches are also gone and his energy levels have returned.  We are so thankful!  

We will watch for any relapses, but in the meantime I still have him on a homeopathic protocol for Lyme.  I swear he has more energy than before his headaches began.  

It seemed like it took a long time for a diagnosis, but after reading about this wretched disease, apparently we were blessed to have a doc that knew what tests to order, got our answer, and began on the treatment.

Thank you again to all that shared their info and experiences on this thread.  

THIS is what makes this forum great.  Smiley Very HappyHeart

Valued Contributor

@tends2dogs I was just thinking of you the other day. I'm so glad you wrote! Very happy to read this wonderful update! Hes doing so much better what a blessing! The herx part was a rough 3 weeks but he got through it thank God. You did amazing fighting this together 🌷 No headaches too is the best news! Here anytime you need and please tell your husband Diane in CT is very happy for him and his wonderfully supportive wife 😊 Continued good health xo

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you so much for all the support and kind words, @DianeJ2 .

I have to give you a quick update:  DH was in Urgent care twice this week, first with a UTI ( the fifth one this year) and then two days later with sharp back pains.  Fast forward, being worked in Thursday at 4 PM by our PCP, he had a CT scan, abdominal ultrasound, and blood labs.  He has 3 huge gall stones.  We are waiting to hear from a surgeon now.  He will most likely be having his gallbladder removed in the next few days.  As far as the frequent UTI's, he is scheduled to see a urologist.  The PCP feels that there is a problem for him to be having such frequent UTI's.  He also does not think that the two problems are related.

Wow!  Anyway, as usual, DH takes it all in stride.  Other than the back pain, he has no nausea.  He is doing all his daily stuff.  I think he is relieved that the "C" word hasn't been mentioned.  After having it, while he doesn't dwell on it, I know it is in the back of his mind.  

We know we have been blessed beyond anything we deserve.  On a side note, while our southern home was without power for 3 days, there was no structural damage.  Again, we are thankful.  

I will let you know how the gallbladder stuff works out and also the urology work up.  

Thanks for your friendship. 

Valued Contributor

Hi @tends2dogs  Sending lots of healing good energy,  thoughts and wishes for the gall bladder surgery!  Your husband (and you 😊) handles every health challenge with such amazing strength and spirit!  Mind, body, spirit he is a warrior.  You both have got this!  Such relief and peace of mind  knowing it's just focused on these two issues.  I know from my Mom, being the spouse of a C thriver it is always  in the back of your your nind too. His recovery time should be quick my sister said. She had hers out and she felt so  much better after.  The nausea was constant. She also has had UTI issues all her life. Usually with yeast infections after antibiotics or for no reason they could find.  I bet the Urology work up will help sort it out. Please keep me posted when you can! 

I have friends in Ponte Vedra Beach from when I lived there and thankfully all is ok. Very happy your Southern home wasn't affected! I pray for all who have been devastated by this hurricane 🙏 . It was terrifying enough going through a Category 2 I can't even imagine Ian. I am donating and sending whatever I can to help assist Florida and Puerto Rico. I'm very thankful as well and never take that for granted.

I will be thinking of you both the next few days! Thank you for your friendship as well  ❤ 

1067472970-healinglove.jpg