Honored Contributor

Re: HAVE YOU HAD KNEE REPLACEMENT SURGERY??

@CJC 

I spent 5 hours yesterday pushing my husband in a wheelchair to multiple appts on different floors at the VA clinic.   All I could think about was how grateful I am to be there for him, and be physically able to push him where he needed to go.

I am able to do this for him because of knee replacements in 2012 and 2017.   My knee pain started in my mid 40's, when insurance wouldn't cover the surgery for anyone under 60, so I suffered for many years with only various NSAID medications for relief.   By 2011, my pain was unbearable; tears were rolling down my face every evening as I limped across the parking lot to my car after work.  

Being mentally prepared for this surgery is a BIG hurdle to clear.  You have to wrap your head around the surgery, the healing pain, the recovery, and the long term responsibility of having an implant in your body that requires you to be mindful of what a simple infection can do to that joint.  

It sounds like your body is ready, but your mind is not, so I wouldn't go for the surgery until you are in sync.    

Esteemed Contributor

After a lifetime of sports and dance, my knees were shot, both bone-on-bone. I had my right knee done and all went well. It's very painful for the first week or so but I followed my surgeon's instructions to the letter. After three months I was back in Zumba class. I desperately need the other knee done but I have to take care of my husband, who has Alzheimer's disease. When I had that first knee done I was in great shape, working out Monday through Friday. With Covid, everything changed. I think I'll be aging out of surgery

Valued Contributor

I really regret my knee replacement done in 2018 !  At this moment l am in a hospitol awaiting surgery to have it removed . Having on going infections since August  , it has to come out .  The surgeon will open it , take out all the hardware , the clean an wash out with antibiotos , then put a temporary spacer in where the hardware was , that spacer does not bend , so will have a straight leg foa a while , 

then after 5 days in the hospitol , l will go home wih a pic linen and a straight leg . Picline will have very strong antibioticsrun through for 6 weeks . Then if its cleared up , l go back to the hospital for anouther complete knee replacement , then start therapy all over again ! 

Trusted Contributor

@judianne So sorry you have to go thru all that.  What caused you to realize you had an infection in the replacement?  Wishing you the best with your upcoming surgery.

Valued Contributor

Oh my goodness @judianne .  I've been following this thread since my husband is scheduled for knee surgery on June 21.  I'm so sorry for what you're going through.  I wish you the best.

Valued Contributor

Update ,  just got home from the hospital , was there 8 days ,  I cannot put more than 10# weight on the leg . l have to " hop" on my good leg , which doesnt feel so good anymore . At age 75 l am unable to do just a couple hops and done .  l had infection in my knee implant , it was removed  and a spacer put in , Dr said its like a bar of soap , can' t put no weight on and have tokeep it straight . I also have a pic line and need daily iv drugs , this is for 6 weeks and then if healed will get a whole new knee replacement . It hurts so bad to move . l would't wish this on my worst enemy!  I am so ready to give up. Just to get to the bathroom is such a hassle and pain , l try not to drink a lot of water .  l have only been home since last night 8PM,  and it's now almost 11AM ..Anurse is coming over this afternoon to teach me how to run the IV . 😢

Esteemed Contributor

@judianne 

If you are glad to be home, I am happy for you. You have been through, and going through, some terrible times. My thoughts are with you in getting through this long time situation.

My best to you in your recovering, 🙏

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

I had both knees done and it's literally the very best thing I could have done for myself!  I had a good attitude and an amazing doctor with an exceptional success rate. 

i would have been in a wheel chair if I didn't have them replaced. I could barely walk, climb stairs, or do anything for that matter. I now can do everything I wasn't able to do before the replacement. I'm a very happy camper. 

My advice?  Research for a great doctor, and have a positive attitude. The ice machine and pain meds will be your friends in the beginning.

Each week gets better and better. 

i wish you good luck. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Ditzydori 

Really happy everything turned out so well for you. Sounds like these surgeries pretty much gave your regular life back to you.

I agree with everything you said, starting with getting the right doctor. Without that factor, chances of the other advice you gave, would be circumspect for sure. Attitude/optimism and working on one's physical recovery are exactly as you advised.

Always like hearing/reading about how certain things are now possible for us humans to retain our same lifestyles as we get older. A lot of these things are far from easy, but many of them are at least possible, thanks to the advancements made over the years.

Thank you for sharing your success story, and if it applies! Happy Mothers Day. 

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)