Honored Contributor

Re: HAVE YOU HAD KNEE REPLACEMENT SURGERY??

I had it a few years ago when that leg could no longer pull me up a step because the bones had shiften sideways.  My leg also went out of joint a lot.   It hurt like hell but now it is like it never happened.  Really glad I did it.

Trusted Contributor

This topic really caught my attention. I, too, have been needing to make the decision to have knee replacement surgery, but, just the thought of it scares me to death! I have read every comment here and am encouraged by all the positive responses. I am 71 years old and my right knee has been hurting for 4 or 5 years. Now my left has also started bothering me. I have seen an orthopedic surgeon and had several injections, but, they don't last very long. I am bone on bone. The pain and stiffness really affects my day to day activities. So, maybe It is time I just bite the bullet and get something done. 

To the OP,thanks for posting this!

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Honored Contributor

Many are now having hip and knee replacement surgeries done now as out patient, depends on your general medical health. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qvc chick   Do it now while you are young because you will heal faster so DO NOT wait.  Everyone is different so ask your surgeon what is the average down time.  Does your job have medical insurance leave where you will still receive some of your money but not your regular pay check?  I had hip replacement surgery and i bet knee surgery is less downtime.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

@Sapphiregal Don't wait.  I had both knees replaced 3 years ago at age 78.  Some on this forum questioned me as to why I was doing this at such an old age.  Well, because the pain was limiting my ability to do what I wanted to do.  Surgeon said no, I was not too old and look here - I am now in my 80's and can do things I could not do before surgery.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1 wrote:

@qvc chick   Do it now while you are young because you will heal faster so DO NOT wait.  Everyone is different so ask your surgeon what is the average down time.  Does your job have medical insurance leave where you will still receive some of your money but not your regular pay check? 

"I had hip replacement surgery and i bet knee surgery is less downtime".

@Katcat1 

According to my Ortho surgeon friend, that practices only hip and knee repair and replacements. The Hip Replacements, if no additional post surgery problems  the recoveries are much easier and quicker.

The knee is a multi-positional joint, whereas the the hip is not. Think about the movements your knee makes in relation to the pretty straight forward positions of your hip.

Have a friend that has had both, and the still ice skates. She told me her hip recovery was pretty easy, in comparison to work and time, to her knee. 

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

Has anyone had to stay in a rehab for a week, because they live alone??

Does insurance usually pay for this?

My surgeon is not recommending this.  Not sure why.  Is Rehab and Nursing home the same thing?

Trusted Contributor

@qvc chick After my hip replacement I ended up in rehab at a local nursing home for about 3 weeks as my doctor said I couldn't put more than 40% weight on the left leg so had to learn to do that.  My remembrance is that for Medicare to pay for this I had to be in the hospital for I think 3 days & on the 4th day they sent me to to rehab.  Medicare & my supplement paid for everything except the ride to rehab by ambulance.  

Valued Contributor

I had my knee replacement in 2018 , what l wouldn’t give to not having it done !  I have had infections the past 18 months , on the outside skin of the replacement knee . On antibiotics now again . It got so bad in August I had surgery and they cleaned it all out buddy it returned 2 months later , antibiotics took care of it , but now I have it again !  It starts as a little blister like circle just below my knee cap and blooms into a circle of red and sore circle about silver dollar size .  The ortho don’t know what to do , maybe send me to a infectious disease doctor .  My big worry is if it gets to the knee hardware . I personally know a couple of people who had this issue , one hospitalized x3 in2 years and now again , after opening and cleaning , then taking out the hardware and putting a temporary , they totally replaced the knee again , now he is in with infection again and the doctors say he needs the knee amputated above the knee joint . Wow I bet he would like his old knee back , pain and bone on bone is better than no leg !! And another person I know had infection in the knee joint , couldn’t get fixed at local hospital , went to a larger hospital , they couldn’t fix , so went to Mayo Clinic Rochester , after exam person was told 3 choices , let infection go , it with kill her , cut off leg above knee ., or take out hardware and put titanium rod , would be straight , unable to bend knee/ legs . She picked that route , it was awful , couldn’t get up , out of bed hard to do anything with straight stiff leg . Needed help for everything . Person died of heart attack since . So I see nothing good about getting infection in the knee , I would give anything to have my old knee back , pain and all , a painful knee is better than no knee/ leg at all !!!

Esteemed Contributor

@judianne 

I could only read a couple sentences. Font too small for my old eyes, and I never read posts with sentences not separated a bit.

From what I was able to read, I am sorry you regret having your TKR. Wish you well.

hckynut(john)🥅🏒  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)