Trusted Contributor

Re: HAVE YOU HAD KNEE REPLACEMENT SURGERY??

When I had my knee replaced in 2011, I had bone on bone. It doesn''t get better; only worse. Everyone I asked said they wished they had done it sooner.

The only part that hurt was when they took out the stitches. Nowadays, they use glue, not staples, so no pain. Go for it.

Respected Contributor

@geegerbee wrote:

When I had my knee replaced in 2011, I had bone on bone. It doesn''t get better; only worse. Everyone I asked said they wished they had done it sooner.

The only part that hurt was when they took out the stitches. Nowadays, they use glue, not staples, so no pain. Go for it.

Totally agree with you!  Seems strange to say, the one part of a knee replacement that hurt was having the stitches removed, but it's true!  The first knee I had done had stitches, the second knee had the glue.   

I find myself saying, 'it was the best decision I ever made, but in reality it's the only decision you need to make as the knees will only get worse and progress to a point where you cannot walk at all.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

I had my left knee replaced in 1993 when I was 35. (One of the side effects of hemophilia is early joint destruction.) That knee replacement is now 28 years old and will be 29 come December. At that time, full recovery was about a six-month affair, but within weeks you're pretty much mostly back to normal.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@judianne Wow, sorry to hear your story.  Sounds like you have been through an awful lot of struggle with these infections.  I just wanted to ask were you premedicated with an antibiotic prior to your dental procedures?   I was a dental assistant for 30 years and during those years our knee/ hip replacement patients were always premedicated for dental procedures, some for a limited time and others longer, depending on their health in general.   I have been retired for 10 years now so I'm not sure what the protocol is now??  

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had my right knee replaced 2 1/2 years ago after 20 years of getting injections and wearing a brace.  I was 66 and  wish I hadn't waited so long. Everyone is different in recovery, alot has to do with the surgeon's skills.  I remember when the hospital called 2 days after I was released to see how I was doing and I asked when the nerve block would wear off and they said it did, 2 days ago.  I was waiting for the excruciating to come, it never did. The ice machine was my friend.  PT came to my house 3 times a week for the first 3 weeks, than I drove myself to PT.

Very important to do all of the exercises you are given to get yourself moving again.  I think what helped me the most were the PT sessions I took twice a week for 4 weeks prior to surgery.  It helped build up the muscle in my thigh.  I highly recommend you do that if you are able too. 

Super Contributor

Thanks for all the replies.

Question - do you stay overnight at the hospital?

ANd I live alone.  Someone told me that the insurance would pay for a week at the hospital if you llive alone?  Obviously you need help after surgery.

Honored Contributor

@qvc chick 

Here in my area of WV, knee replacements are done on Wednesdays and you are discharged late afternoon on Friday.   It was like that in 2012 with my first knee and in 2017 with my second.   

People who live alone, are usually discharged to an inpatient rehab facility for at least 2 weeks.   You will have to find someone to drive you home, as you will not be allowed to drive with those pain meds in your system.

Honored Contributor

I was 55 when I had my left knee replaced and only regret is that I waited so long.  I had no choice when the injections stopped working and the pain was impacting my life.  My surgeon said it was making me old before my time.  He was right.  I cried when he said that.  I had it done by a surgeon who specializes in knee and hip replacements.  I recovered quicker than expected, I was out of work for 2 months.  I was using a cane when I went back to work. I think I had 10 or 12 weeks of pt, twice a week but virtually no post op pain.  However, I did not get 100% knee function back.  I can't flex it as much as I had hoped.  I have to hold onto the Bannister when I use stairs and I can't kneel but I can do everything else and most importantly, no pain.  

Valued Contributor

LindaSal.   I did take a large dose of antibiotic before each dental procedure .

Respected Contributor

I've had both knees and both hips replaced. I am grateful that these procedures were available. My life is completely (and wonderfully) changed.