Super Contributor

HAVE YOU HAD KNEE REPLACEMENT SURGERY??

My right knee has been bone on bone for a few years.  I get cortizone shots every three months.

They really dont help much anymore.  I do not take anything for the pain, I just deal with it, but i feel like its getting worse.

I am afraid of knee replacement surgery, because of all the downtime, and missing work.  My doctor said I can put it off as long as I want, but I think i should start thinking about it.

I am in my early 60's.  What was your experience??  Are you happy you di it?  And how long before walking normal and back to work?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: HAVE YOU HAD KNEE REPLACEMENT SURGERY??

I have not experienced this surgery, but my brother just had one done several weeks ago.  He is 65 and he tolerated it very well.  He did use a cane and had home PT for a short time but is now walking and climbing stairs fine.   He's actually doing the other one  next month.  He said he's sorry he didn't go sooner .  My best friend also had one done a couple years ago and she also did very well with it.  Best of luck Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Check out the post on the Beauty Forum titled, Waiting to go for Physical Therapy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had it in 2017.  I was 62. I also was bone on bone. I didn't work so missing work wasn't an issue and I wouldn't worry about it. Your health comes first. Screw work. I would say the worst day for pain was day 2 when the nerve blocker wore off but it got better every day after that. Just take your meds and do your exercises and get an ice machine if your insurance doesn't provide one. I went to therapy for as long as my insurance paid for it and I would see improvement on a weekly basis. It's worth it to be out of pain and now I can walk like a normal person. My knee is still a bit swollen and can be stiff at times and always will be but that's not a big deal. There are some things that are more difficult like getting down on the floor but you can do it.  I stopped using a cane or needing any type of aid probably within 7-10 days and since it was my right knee I couldn't drive for 4 weeks since you have to be off all drugs. I would definitely do it again.

Honored Contributor

Meowingkitty said:  "Your health comes first. Screw work."

Best Answer.png

@qvc chick 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Super Contributor

This is a surgery of LAST RESORT! I had it done and still have pain. Not all surgeries totally remove the pain. I had nasty side effects for all the pain medications and it wasn't pretty and I wasn't a good patient.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qvc chick  I had bilateral double knee replacement in 2013 at age 57.

BEST THING I EVER DID.  Sure...some down time....some discomfort that is TEMPORARY....I went from crutches my pain and both knees were so bad....to now being totally pain free and doing anything I want to. I was unable to stand...even to step off a curb was horrible.  Today....I am good as new. 

It takes about 8 weeks to really be on the mend... after that you will be amazed! Healing starts really picking up at week 8. 

I also had double hip replacement in 2014. 

I do not even take a baby aspirin anymore....totally FIXED...a bionic woman 😄👏👏👏❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Regular Contributor

My mother, who is now 87 years old, had one of her knees replaced several years ago.  It was quite painful, but the result was excellent.  She was diligent in perfoming the prescribed therapy, however, which I believe was one of the key factors for success. 

Respected Contributor

I have not had knee replacement but I know many people who did.  It is worth it in the long run.   I just had hip replacement 2 weeks ago and am recovering well.  I won't lie.  Hip is easier than knee.  But if you follow ALL the directions that you are given you will do fine.  My biggest complaint right now is feeling housebound.  I am getting around on a walker, can do stairs no problem.  No pain. Faithful about Pt.  Each day I feel improvement as far as gaining strenghth in leg.  I just need to be patient.  Yes your health comes first.  The longer you wait the harder it gets.  Go for it and be a good patient!  Good luck!

Respected Contributor

I had a younger cousin get it done.  She was very fit and active.  She said what made recovery much smoother was maintaining the schedule of pain medications .......not letting the pain get worse and then taking the meds.   She also said, at first, she dropped a lot of "F-bombs" at physical.therapy.