Esteemed Contributor

Re: HAVE YOU EVER REPORTED A BAD REACTION?

Hmmm...This thread gave me something to think about!🤔 I have not done so in the past, but after reading the info provided, I will likely do so moving forward. Thank you for posting!😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Valued Contributor

I often read about possible side effects when taking a medication for the first time. I’ve noticed many websites will list side effects by category: most common, less common, rarely, etc.. I would assume if they received reports of side effects, that may help them with accurate information to provide on the internet and on the medication insert.
Honored Contributor

Yes I would. I got the Novavax covid shot and had some pretty strange reactions to it---not horrendously uncomfortable,  just a little strange for me. I tried to report them but holy smoke---it was pages long of very detailed things most of which I had no idea how to answer--so I didn't finish it. But did write my reactions down for me to remember.

Respected Contributor

I work in pharma research and if you know the company that manufactured it, contact them- They should have a pharmacovigilence ( safety) staff for that purpose. The FDA has specific reporting guidelines based on severity and seriousness of the event, and the company reports it to them if it meets criteria- Hope all is ok! 

Trusted Contributor

Recently, I read that doctors underreport side effects, especially if they are male and the patient is female.

I had some side effects from meds and my doctor told me, "No, that's not a side effect." Essentially, it negates my experience. I reported it to my pharmacist, who thanked me and told me it was common.

This is the same doctor who told me if I just had vertigo and nausea, "It's not a migraine."

I Ubered over to his office while in the throws of the migraine and threw up multiple times in front of him and the staff to show him.

His response was, "oh.."

It IS a migraine.

Honored Contributor

No.  Id let the prescribing doctor know and let him or her report it through their channels.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cheriere   Same thing happened to me years ago with Bactrim.

It is a Sulfa drug, so no more Sulfa drugs in the future. Dr. and

pharmacy need to know this.

Since getting older, I have more sensitivities to medications. There are at least a dozen now, that I can't have. It is in my medical records.

Drs. say that I am a mystery. I have ended up in the hospital four times with allergic reactions to medications. Even while being hospitalized in August, I had allergic reactions to two medications they tried, while I was there.

Super Contributor

Yes - I reported multiple frightening symptoms from Novavax to my physician and to the FDA on their provided form. My symptoms included tachychardia and burst blood vessels in my hands. My hands didn't heal for almost 8 months.

My physician didn't believe me - but the FDA followed up with me once a month for 6 months. The whole covid vaccine experience was totally bizarre. I won't be taking any more vaccines for a good long while...

Valued Contributor

Thank you for posting this.  I have not done this in the past but I  will do it now regarding a past experience.  In the summer of 2022 I ended up in the hospital for 11 days after having a reaction to Minocycline.  Inflammatory pneumonia.  I was very sick.  Fever over 104 degrees.  So nauseous I could not get off the bed.  It was prescribed by my dermatologist after having a cyst on my shoulder drained.  She said later that this kind of reaction is something you learn about in med school that never happens.  Well -- it happened and there are other documented cases.  It took days for the hospital to even figure out what kind of pneumonia I had because it is "so rare."  (Words I hope never to hear again.)  So yes -- I will fill out the form now and hope that somebody else is able to avoid this nightmare.  Thanks again @Tinkrbl44 

Honored Contributor

@judy0330 wrote:

Thank you for posting this.  I have not done this in the past but I  will do it now regarding a past experience.  In the summer of 2022 I ended up in the hospital for 11 days after having a reaction to Minocycline.  Inflammatory pneumonia.  I was very sick.  Fever over 104 degrees.  So nauseous I could not get off the bed.  It was prescribed by my dermatologist after having a cyst on my shoulder drained.  She said later that this kind of reaction is something you learn about in med school that never happens.  Well -- it happened and there are other documented cases.  It took days for the hospital to even figure out what kind of pneumonia I had because it is "so rare."  (Words I hope never to hear again.)  So yes -- I will fill out the form now and hope that somebody else is able to avoid this nightmare.  Thanks again @Tinkrbl44 

@judy0330 

WOW ... what a scary experience!  So glad you came out of it okay.  Woman Happy

We like to think the docs that care for us have seen everything ... or have instant access to all sorts of medical information beyond their training. 

I can understand people reporting things to their MDs, but taking time to report to the FDA is being a good citizen ... and hopefully save another person from a very weird and "rare" bad reaction.