Esteemed Contributor

Gym benefits thru Medicare question ...

This is my first month on Medicare and I went w/ UHC Medicare advantage for my initial coverage as I am familiar w/ UHC via work.

My question is in regard to the free gym benefits. Can someone who has used this benenfit advise how it actually worked for you? I'm leary of joining any gym from past experience of having them try to upsell/over sell. I really only want to join a gym that has a pool as I have a lot of exercise equipment at home.

Anyone have insight on how the Medicare gym benefit works?

TIA.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

Re: Gym benefits thru Medicare question ...

My  plan covers only Silver Sneakers, so I would have to pay my own way to use the pool.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kate2357 I have Silver & Fit (Silver Sneaker's) through my medicare insurance which covers my YMCA membership including all the programs the Y offers including the pool.  I have been using this for the 5 years I've been on medicare. (I amended my original comment as my Silver Sneaker's is through Silver & Fit).  

Honored Contributor

@kate2357   Best to call the health facility and ask.  I know my sister uses her UHC Medicare benefit at her YMCA and it includes pool use.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

The YMCA near us isn't part of the MC plan. Drat it all. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Contributor

We have the Medicare gym benefit thru AARP/UHC supplement. It covers the membership at our local full-service gym, including pool. The only additional costs are those special classes that are not included in the normal membership fee. We signed up and the gym bills our insurance.

Respected Contributor

@kate2357 

The Silver Sneaker plan is not thru Medicare.  It is thru your supplemental insurances.  Most YMCA's participate.  If youre interested in a private gym, I would call and ask.  Most do participate.  Any use of the machines are usually included, you can go as much as you like.  Some gyms let you use the pool if they have, others dont.  It doesnt usually usually cover any classes tho in private gyms, but does include most classes at the Y.

Just call and ask if they participate in the Silver Sneaker Program.  I have it thru United AARP and my husband has it thru his advantage plan.  Some insurances do not offer it with their coverage.

Respected Contributor

It is my understanding that TRADITIONAL Medicare does not have any free included fittness/gym membership benefit.

Esteemed Contributor

I do have UHC AARP Medicare advantage and did look up gyms near me. Then not seeing YMCA, I called them and they do not currently participate. I will see about pursuing other gyms that have a pool as that's really my only interest in joining.
Honored Contributor

I have RenewActive through UHC Advantage.  I have a FULL membership at a gym w/an Olympic size **heated** indoor pool (split in half lap pool), jacuzzis, etc.  I only use the gym for the pool & jacuzzis.  Oh, also eat at their snackbar/restaurant w/a $20.00 coupon.  I am assuming its from UHC.  I don't question FREEBIES.

No hard sell as UHC pays 100% as long as the gym stays part of the RenewActive program. 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif