Honored Contributor

Gums, and gums and more gums

[ Edited ]

I don't know how you feel about this, but I am so sick of companies adding so much stuff to our foods. I'm constantly checking on added ingredients, especially all the gums. Many of these gums are not put in for taste, but are added to placate consumer desire for thicker food, creamier food and for the appearance of food. Many of the other additives are added strictly to placate consumers ideas about the appearance of food, the color, or the texture of food. I just don't need all this in my food. Due to severe fatigue and illness in my husband I just can't cook from scratch the way I used to. I spend so much time looking at ingredients. I just wish manufacturers would take out so many of these additives. I do try to select from makers that add less, such as Amy's, but even those makers add these ingredients. Many of these ingredients cause upset stomach too. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Gums, and gums and more gums

I read some time ago that manufacturers would be required to reduce the sodium in prepared foods.  Many are so salty, I'm drinking water all night after eating them.  Thus far, I haven't noticed any difference.  I wonder when this starts?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 @What many do is they decrease the sodium by adding less sodium chloride and replace the salty taste they add potassium chloride. The potassium (potassium chloride) causes stomach upset. I hate when they do this. The companies know that customers look at the sodium on the label.

Esteemed Contributor

Gums usually mean the product is overly processed.  Just don't buy it.

Easy to screen by looking at added salt, added sugar, added artificial sweeteners or type of oil.

Don't think I ever get as far down as gums.

Potassium is on the label too.