Respected Contributor

I tried a gummy bear for my aching tooth.i can not even get in to oral surgeon until may 3.in the mean time,my daughter suggested I try pot infused gummy.i was willing to try anything at that point.well,maybe a hr later I felt its effects.it worked for awhile.i know 1 thing,I could never drive feeling like that.10 gummies for $40.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Gummy bears

[ Edited ]

Have you even considered looking up other oral surgeons in your area and making some calls to see if one of them can take you in earlier than that? 

I suspect not but figured I'd ask. 

Or call the one with whom you have the May appointment and tell them you are in constant pain and see if they will get you in as an emergency visit. 

Respected Contributor

To be honest I never heard of any kind of dentist not seeing someone within 24 hours who is in constant pain. If you got to the oral surgeon through your dentist call your dentist and tell him/her about the long wait. Maybe the oral surgeon did not understand that you are in pain when you made the appointment. I would not wait until May, there is no reason to wait. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

To be honest I never heard of any kind of dentist not seeing someone within 24 hours who is in constant pain. If you got to the oral surgeon through your dentist call your dentist and tell him/her about the long wait. Maybe the oral surgeon did not understand that you are in pain when you made the appointment. I would not wait until May, there is no reason to wait. 

@Janey2 

BINGO! If I remember correctly even her regular dentist's office made her wait in pain for days before checking her out and then referring her to the oral surgeon. Something isn't right here. 

Honored Contributor

Dentists here always block out some schedule time for emergency cases that can't wait, in their daily schedules.

We also have 'Emergency Dentists' who are open nights and week-ends for urgent cases, maybe you could check in your area.

Otherwise, I agree with other posters that I would call others to see if you can get an earlier appt.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I agree with other posters. My dentist or my periodontist would make time to see me the same day. Never heard of letting someone suffer.

Respected Contributor

regular dentist sent me home with motrin and a referral to a oral surgeon.i feel like I'm in a rabbit whole with this process.oral surgeon in my area told me to ck back every week to see if there are any cancellations.ive been doing that faithfully.honestly,I say a prayer everynight,every night, I can last til may.ive already been to er.im in quadcities area.my surgeon is in davenport iowa

Respected Contributor

sorry for misspelled words.i get in a hurry

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

My dentist once cancelled one of my appointments due to another patient having a tooth emergency. I was perfectly fine with that. About three days later, I got a thank you letter for helping with the situation. 

A few years later, I learned he had cancelled another patient's appointment to schedule me for my own emergency. 

A good dentist will always make room for someone in serious dental pain. It's not an elective event, it's a health emergency that can become dangerous. 

Respected Contributor

@Luvsmyfam nothing worse than a toothache!  It looks like there is an emergency dental service in Davenport, Iowa. You can google it.