Honored Contributor

Re: Growing up in the 1950's- 1970's VS Today

I remember when microwaves first came out. My aunt had one and we couldn't figure out how to use it lol. It seems so funny to think about now as we use one so often.

Honored Contributor

@colliemom4  OMG the memories!  Remember when everyone was sure it was going to shoot death rays at us if we were in the room anywhere close to it?  LOL

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@colliemom4  OMG the memories!  Remember when everyone was sure it was going to shoot death rays at us if we were in the room anywhere close to it?  LOL

@Laura14  Yes! And my in-laws thought that until very late in their lives though the rest of the family had been using them for decades. They finally gave in and got one.

Honored Contributor

I am 66 and think that back then when we grew up there were none of the harmful additives in foods and that probably made a huge difference.  We were way more active also.  Fast food wasn't as bad if we ever had it because no harmful additives.  Kids today don't really have much of an imagination to be able to entertain themselves.  I never remember being bored when we invented our own games and fun.  I sure wouldn't want to grown up in today's environment.  We had real fun and very few fears.

Honored Contributor

Some of the things I see differently is how we treat the 'broken' things in life...both the physical and emotional parts. When things get broken just throw it away, it's disposable even though it can be fixed it's just easier that way. When broken pieces can't be put back together, there's an app for that or a pill to fix your broken feelings, pain or diet. Go ahead and drive your car without focus...because there's an app for that.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee  So insightful and profund.  A lot of us feel like we've been cast aside.  Very well put.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I see photographs in magazines from the 1970s and earlier, I am always struck by how lean everyone was.  The person with a belly was the exception not the rule in the photo.  People were so thin in general.  Slowly everything became more automated.  I remember the wonder of electric windows in the car!  And a REMOTE CONTROL for the TV.  No more getting up to change the channel.   We don't move enough these days.  We eat bigger portions.  Just today I was in the store looking at candy for Halloween and I saw that there was "FUN" size and Jumbo size.  No regular size.    For weeknight dinners we always had chicken and a vegetable and maybe rice or potatoes.  Dessert was not offered.  If my mother bought ice cream for us three kids and my father, it was a tub of Breyer's and we "fought" over who took more than the others.  Nowadays everybody gets exactly what they want, in excessive amounts, and no one seems satisfied with what they have.  

Honored Contributor

68AF8B87-8042-4B4A-8397-BEBCA374D5E4.png

Honored Contributor

That's when I grew up. I sure would like to go back & finish my life there. My dad was Air Force so we lived on Base until I was 16 yrs old. We had fun. We had 2-3 swimming pools, snack bar, youth center, teen center, bowling alley. They had different activities at the youth/teen centers like dances, pool tournaments, going to Skateland, pool parties etc.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

People still believe that....I know some who would never own a microwave as they fear it.  I personally could not live without it! Love my microwave!