Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

@RedTop , I enjoyed reading your post, and what a great idea! One thing about it, I am sure not being wasteful with one thing around this house...food or otherwise.  I'm sure others feel the same way!

=====

I've not been wasting anything either @Ainhisg . Today I made a strawberry layered dessert. The crust contained pretzels we received in a gift basket at Christmas. Their expiration date was May 20 so I found a recipe at Taste Of Home and made it for Easter.

Valued Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@emmygrace wrote:

I LOVE Aldis...my problem is I don't have a car! I've run out of food...and my regular ride is afraid to leave her house! Their Instacart is behind...could be another week or so! Suggestions???

Any nearby restaurants that will deliver, @emmygrace?

My son said he could take me today..Thank God! Thanks for the suggestions! Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@emmygrace wrote:

@patbz wrote:

@emmygrace :  Do you live where they have uber or can you call the police depart (not 911) or a church and ask if someone can help you.  Don't wait, do it in the morning.

The churches I contacted are no longer having live services...there was no one to talk too!

Its like living in the Twilight Zone!!! Not sure about calling the police dept..thanks for your help! I'm sure there are others going through this too..very depressing! Target, Aldis..Whole Foods..all have long waiting lists! Most of the food items say very limited! Woman Frustrated

Our church still has the office open. They recommend that you call ahead. And the food bank is still open. That is why they are keeping the office open. So that people still have access to the food bank and other people can donate food to the food bank.

I know that there are many places handing out free food. Maybe look up and see if your Township or a local organization is handing out food. 

Respected Contributor

@emmygrace wrote:

I LOVE Aldis...my problem is I don't have a car! I've run out of food...and my regular ride is afraid to leave her house! Their Instacart is behind...could be another week or so! Suggestions???

@emmygrace , does your neighborhood use the Nextdoo website? My sister and friends report that people in their areas are using it to connect and trade items or get help.

You can also check to see if your area has Shipt. I've had more success with Shipt than Instacart where I am. I use Shipt, Instacart, and my local grocery store app and between the three, I can usually get what I need.

You may want to consider services like Schwan's or Freshly, who will deliver heat and serve meals to your door. Freshly will deliver 6-12 meals a week. Since I don't know what I might get in a grocery order these days, I use Freshly for 6 meals I can count on and then supplement the rest with whatever I can get from the grocery store.

Honored Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

@bargainsgirl wrote:

I am so paranoid about going.  I went MOnday and really stocked up for a good 10 days but I may need milk before that. Instacart isn't delivering till April 22 in my area. So far, only 1 store employee where I shop wore a mask.  I think it should be mandatory.   I just may go to Target. Have not been there yet but they posted all the precautions they are taking and they are way more than Wegmans or the other smaller store I go to.

@bargainsgirl 

Here are a few helpful tips. Go to the grocery store first thing in the morning, less people during the morning hours. If possible wear some sort of face covering, and gloves. Head straight to the Milk Aisle, and make your purchase. 

Good luck and stay safe. 

@icezeus I went to my local supermarket first thing in the morning (6am for over 60) a few weeks ago and it was packed!  I found it a bit less crowded around 10am but it's a hit or miss.

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

My supermarket is just down the street - a five minute walk.

B.V. (before Virus) - I shopped twice a week - on Wednesdays and Saturdays.  I had standing events on those days and had to pass the supermarket on the way home - stopped for groceries!

P.V. (post Virus) - No events ....  I'm only going once a week to the supermarket - Fridays.  

I find that I'm spending about 1/3 less going just once a week.  Just takes a bit more planning.

------------------

Set the scene - I live in a residential area of Manhattan.  Large apartment buildngs all around here.  A number of people on the street - even in these times.  The main major employers around here are hospitals. 

As I was walking down to the store earlier today - wearing my hand crafted LOGO tie-dye face mask ... poeple walking in all directions wearing scarves or white face masks ... I looked rather dapper with my LOGO-fied face mask and my red rhinestone fit-over polarized sunglasses.

Actually, under other circumstances, if there were all these people walking NYC streets in face masks - the cops would be all over the place. 

I was reminded of those old cowboy movies where the gang of bank robbers ride into town wearing kerchiefs around their faces?  Instead of riding to the bank, we were walkng to the supermarket .

Me - not riding a horse but wheeling my folding grocery cart that I customized with a colorful crocheted cart liner during the time I was confined at home during the power outage from the Sandy Superstorm in 2012.  

This 2020 confinement creation is what I'm dubbing my colorful crochet virus cardigan.  

-------------------

As the old TV show used to close ... there are 8 million stories in The Naked City ... this was one of them.

@ALRATIBA I live in a more suburban almost rural area.  I'm the opposite.  Every time I go out shopping now I find myself spending more by stocking up when I didn't before.  I have an extra refrigerator and a chest freezer in the garage. I'm also buying things that I normally don't buy....we better not have a power failure because I don't know what I would do about all of the money spent on frozen goods!

The last time I shopped for groceries, I did a curbside order at a farm market.  The young man who brought my packages out to the car was wearing a bandana around the lower half of his face and I burst out laughting asking him if he felt like a bandit!  Since I didn't get out of the car, I skipped the face covering.

Such strange times!

Honored Contributor

@emmygrace Can you try ordering some non perishable basics from Amazon like rice & beans...just until you can get to a store or get an Instacart delivery.

Valued Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@emmygrace Can you try ordering some non perishable basics from Amazon like rice & beans...just until you can get to a store or get an Instacart delivery.

My precious son took me to the store today before he went to work! He finally got his  Christmas present today too..(haven't seen him since October!) They were jeans and a shirt..and they'll fit perfectly since he lost weight! He got me an oil diffuser, which I've always wanted! Heart He said he'd take me next week too! Thank you Lord! Heart