Respected Contributor

I am so paranoid about going.  I went MOnday and really stocked up for a good 10 days but I may need milk before that. Instacart isn't delivering till April 22 in my area. So far, only 1 store employee where I shop wore a mask.  I think it should be mandatory.   I just may go to Target. Have not been there yet but they posted all the precautions they are taking and they are way more than Wegmans or the other smaller store I go to.

Esteemed Contributor

@SunnysMom 

Are you serious??

Honored Contributor

Re: Grocery shopping

[ Edited ]

@bargainsgirl wrote:

I am so paranoid about going.  I went MOnday and really stocked up for a good 10 days but I may need milk before that. Instacart isn't delivering till April 22 in my area. So far, only 1 store employee where I shop wore a mask.  I think it should be mandatory.   I just may go to Target. Have not been there yet but they posted all the precautions they are taking and they are way more than Wegmans or the other smaller store I go to.

If I didn't have to have lactose  free milk, and didn't need any other grocery items, I'd probably just get it at a smaller store.  CVS sells milk.  

the Target stores in my area are huge and milk is in one of the far away areas of the store.  

Esteemed Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

@bargainsgirl 

Here are a few helpful tips. Go to the grocery store first thing in the morning, less people during the morning hours. If possible wear some sort of face covering, and gloves. Head straight to the Milk Aisle, and make your purchase. 

Good luck and stay safe. 

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl   The nice thing about Wegmans is that it has a mini dairy case up front near the registers.  So, if all you need is milk, you can be in and out very quickly.  (Wegmans regular dairy case is located - llike most supermarkets - as far from the store's entry as possible.)

Esteemed Contributor

@bargainsgirl  I hate the worry also but braved Aldi this morning The 8:30 time gave me more time to walk dogs. The employees are wiping their carts but you need a quarter for the cart.

I'm familiar with the store and was pleased with the stock, but no masks on employees. 
  I'm good for another month, more if I ration and don't waste. 
  It's cheaper than most stores and I bought their delicious CHOCOLATE 🍫!

Honored Contributor

@1Snickers wonderful chocolate there. I like their flavored waters. Probably will wait three more weeks before going to Aldi's.

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

I won't go shopping either.  Luckily, my favorite grocery store chain now offers free delivery to people over 60 or at risk.  I order online and groceries are delivered to my front steps.  I grab the cold/frozen and leave the rest on the steps for a while.  

Respected Contributor

I bought powdered milk when all this started.  It's not great for drinking (imo), so if a person is wanting it for that reason, it's not the best.  However, for cereal and most cooking, I am surprised that it has worked just fine and is very convenient.  You can even make evaporated milk out of it for recipes.  Here's the link on how to do that.  When all this is over, I may continue to keep powdered milk on hand!  

https://www.themakeyourownzone.com/diy-evaporated-milk/   

PS...if you have room in a freezer, milk can be frozen.  I had a half gallon of whole milk when all this started, and I divided it into two containers (the original carton and a pitcher).  I kept the pitcher in the fridge and froze the carton.  When I was ready for the frozen milk, I set it in the refrigerator for a day or two before I knew I was going to need it.  When it thawed, I shook it up, and it tasted and had the same consistency as it did before I froze it.  

Honored Contributor

My Aldi's had a quarter in every cart, cart usage free.

Also there was an employee sitting outside cleaning the carts.

I wore a mask & gloves

Their spiral hams were on sale, 95 cents per pound.   I got one last year, it's really good.   Very tender, moist and mild.  Otherwise, I would not have gone out.

@1Snickers wrote:

@bargainsgirl  I hate the worry also but braved Aldi this morning The 8:30 time gave me more time to walk dogs. The employees are wiping their carts but you need a quarter for the cart.

I'm familiar with the store and was pleased with the stock, but no masks on employees. 
  I'm good for another month, more if I ration and don't waste. 
  It's cheaper than most stores and I bought their delicious CHOCOLATE 🍫!