Trusted Contributor

Grief/do any meds help with it?

Going through a ton of grief, anxiety and depression.   I've read online (don't know if this is true), that meds don't usually work for grief.   I've tried for two months to handle this on my own, but it is really getting to me - badly.   It's out of control now. Just looking for opinions here.

Honored Contributor

Re: Grief/do any meds help with it?

Im so sorry youre going through this.  I don't know about meds being of help but have you looked for a grief support group in your area?  You might contact the United Way Referral Service or any hospice or religious advisor.  You'll probably find many people who are struggling with the same issues you are.  Reach out for help; I'm sure youll find something beneficial.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Seek professional help immediately. A psychiatrist, psychologist or therapist.

Your physician should be able to point you in the right direction.

Edited to add--It doesn't mean that you'll, necessarily, need help long-term. But, certainly, at least to get you through this rough spot. . 

Honored Contributor

My advice would be to tell your doctor what you’ve told us and the sooner the better. Talking with someone face-to-face can be very helpful too. I will pray for you too. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@newjersey You should definitely seek professional help.  Grief is synonymous with sadness which often accompanies anxiety and depression.  Meds can help, but therapy is equally as important.  Best wishes!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@newjersey Opinions are just that....there are strategies that help with grief.  I would never turn to prescription medication, but that is my opinion.  Only you can decide what is best for you, I could write and suggest many tools.  Without going into detail, you might want to start with taking some quiet time for yourself and acknowledge your grief.  It is ok to have those feelings. Is this about your cat ? If so, it is perfectly natural that you would be grieving.  Accepting the transition of a beloved pet is very challenging.  There are groups for this purpose, even with support it can be a long process. Do some meditation/breathing. Go to a park for a walk and concentrate on the beauty around you.  Appreciate your beauty (you just lost 45 pounds.....that is a major accomplishment).  After you have quieted your mind, then you are in a better place to make a decision as to how you want to cope with your grief. Listen to  your inner guidance.  I am sorry you are going through this.

Respected Contributor

@phoenixbrdI would agree with you if she was just dealing with grief, but her grief has manifested into anxiety and depression.  I am an anti-medication believer for myself, but after having family members who have struggled with those disorders, I believe that sometimes medication is needed. Therapy can also help to avoid medication or minimize the duration and amount needed.

Honored Contributor

@newjersey  Sorry you are going through this.  Please talk to your doctor. Sometimes grief and depression go hand in hand.  Perhaps the right anti-depressant will help you.  Take good care and call the doctor soon.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Call Dr Laura tomorrow, she'll work you through it.

You need someone professional to talk to you.

Esteemed Contributor

I hope you're planning to see a counselor. There are 5-7 stages of grief and loss. Knowing basics will help you process through your pain. I am so sorry you're hurting. Peace to you.     

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau