Honored Contributor

Re: Grandchildren and Germs : )

Take plenty of vitamin D3. When DD was in preschool, many moons ago, I was sick for four months, one virus on top of the other. School is a hotbed of germs. DD seems constantly sick at college now. On her return to school from her last break, she immediately came down with strep throat. I sent her a bottle of D3, and of course, she was put on antibiotics by the school nurse.

Honored Contributor

You might want to google "QUERCETIN". I take it every day, along with Turmeric, Gnger, and VD3, all said to provide mmune support. I also take Cayenne and eat a veggie hefty food plan. One brief sinus infection while many of my friends were down with awful respiratory stuff this last year.
Esteemed Contributor

On 3/29/2015 ccassaday said: We watch grandkids also. Normally my mom catches everything. This year she has been lucky and hasn't caught anything. Lol to peppa pig. My three year old nice watches it all the time and sits there and snorts. And when we say zebra she corrects us in her British accent.

Ah, yes, Zoe Zebra! Our 18 month old GD already says Zoe Zeh-bwah. Gotta lova it. And she says Zed for Z, as she watches and learns the Peppa alphabet on Opa's tablet.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/29/2015 mousiegirl said:

Take plenty of vitamin D3. When DD was in preschool, many moons ago, I was sick for four months, one virus on top of the other. School is a hotbed of germs. DD seems constantly sick at college now. On her return to school from her last break, she immediately came down with strep throat. I sent her a bottle of D3, and of course, she was put on antibiotics by the school nurse.

I take 2,000 IUs of D3 daily per my internist for bone issues, so have that covered. Thanks for mentioning it.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/30/2015 violann said: You might want to google "QUERCETIN". I take it every day, along with Turmeric, Gnger, and VD3, all said to provide mmune support. I also take Cayenne and eat a veggie hefty food plan. One brief sinus infection while many of my friends were down with awful respiratory stuff this last year.

I have not heard of Quercetin, so will definitely check it out. Thank you, violann, for your post.

Esteemed Contributor

Before my daughter moved to Florida, she lived about 3 1/2 hours away from us. When our grandson was born, we visited them one weekend each month. My grandson, who was in day care during the week while my daughter worked, was always sick with a cold and I always caught it. I knew that within days of our visit I'd be sick. My husband never caught anything but despite my hand washing, vitamins, and healthy eating, I spent the first several years of my grandson's life catching everything he had.
Trusted Contributor

The ability or inability to catch the child's cold's are largely left up to you and how you handle the transfer of germs, etc. I never catch anything from my grandchild, but I know very well how to avoid spreading viruses and bacteria. It takes work, but can be done, just like with patients in the hospital environment.

Since your immune system is evidentally low, do what you must to avoid catching everything. Start by boosting your own immunities. Don't blame everything on child care or the child themselves.

Valued Contributor

My BFF just got home from the hospital after 12 months. She had an LVAD put in her heart. She was home 2 1/2 days and her grandchildren came over. This morning she is back in the hospital with the flu. Why don't their parents keep those kids at home? LVAD stands for Left ventrical assisting device. She had heart failure and this keeps her alive.

Frequent Contributor

As someone said a bath as soon as she comes to your house, even just wash her hands and then changing her clothes when she comes home from school.

That is what i have done with my kids, ever since they started school (many years ago, as now they are in high school, as they still do this)

As soon as they come home, first thing they do, is wash their hands and then change into different clothes. I think this has helped somewhat thru the years. It doesnt make them not ever get sick, but i think it does help.

Then if they are out anywhere else and come home, they wash their hands right away and no shoes in the house either. They either just wear socks or slippers or different shoes, just for home. That way, not tracking all those germs in the house as well.

Its just second nature now, which is wonderful! I hate germs!! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/30/2015 Yammy25 said:

The ability or inability to catch the child's cold's are largely left up to you and how you handle the transfer of germs, etc. I never catch anything from my grandchild, but I know very well how to avoid spreading viruses and bacteria. It takes work, but can be done, just like with patients in the hospital environment.

Since your immune system is evidentally low, do what you must to avoid catching everything. Start by boosting your own immunities. Don't blame everything on child care or the child themselves.

Hi Yammy,

Being a retired RN, I'm savvy with regard to the transfer of those nasty viruses & bacteria which cause us grief and how they function within our bodies.

My issue is this: I'm 67 and did not have my daughter until I was 30. She did not have her daughter until she was 36. What I'm getting at is that I'm not a 43 year old grandmother with antibodies on board, which will protect me from viruses still around or similar enough in configuration. I've had plenty of viruses in my life and been exposed to them, so have a plethora of antibodies onboard. However, because I generally do not become ill very often, especially in the last 15 years, (1) I have not developed antibodies to newer viruses and (2) the antibodies I have from viruses I had years ago may have titered out or not been at all effected against the viruses we're experiencing these days.

I am not blaming my colds on childcare, nor am I blaming my granddaughter, though it may have sounded like it. BOTTOM LINE: I have insufficient antibodies to current viruses to prevent onset of viruses my GD brings in. At 18 months old, she is all over Opa and I, with kisses, giving us raspberries (as much as we've tried and tried to teach her to stop doing that), drooling all over herself and us as she cuts molars - need I go on? Our life with her is what it is right now.

I don't know what else to tell you. Did you see the smiley face at the end of the title above? This was not meant to be a "bash my granddaughter" thread.