Super Contributor

Re: Grandchildren and Germs : )

I had to laugh at your post because good God, ain't it the truth!

My grandson is 10 months old and although I do not care for him on a regular basis, I do care for him when he is ill. Thankfully I am available and the parents do not want to infect the other infants at daycare so they have me watch him and boy, I have not been more sick than I have been this past year! Hubby and I call him, "little germ", lol. I've had numerous colds, pink eye and the flu. I do have to say it's all worth it, being able to snuggle him and love him up while he is sick is priceless. They grow so fast and it won't be long before they won't want to be held, etc.

Honored Contributor

I wasn't blaming daycare as a whole for a child being sick. Bless the daycare workers whose job it is to watch young children all day.

The kids come in with runny noses, coughs, and fevers. The parents send them that way unfortunately. It's not the kids fault at all!

A child that's taught to wash their hands thoroughly isn't as easy as it sounds. Lots of times only cold water is used at the bathrooms sinks for safety purposes (scalding). I can't tell you how many times I've seen a diaper changed and no hand washing afterwards!

That's why I think it's a good idea for a soothing warm bath and shampoo.

I always wipe down the car seats (I have two) with a wet paper towel and some natural dish liquid just like I would the kitchen table, do it every time they get out. I even wipe off the little book bags they take to pre-school. Doesn't hurt!

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/30/2015 sarpy said:

My BFF just got home from the hospital after 12 months. She had an LVAD put in her heart. She was home 2 1/2 days and her grandchildren came over. This morning she is back in the hospital with the flu. Why don't their parents keep those kids at home? LVAD stands for Left ventrical assisting device. She had heart failure and this keeps her alive.

Oh my God, sarpy, I am incredibly sorry to hear this. Some parents are absolutely clueless and/or just plain stu-pid and uncaring. I pray your friend has no complications with the flu and will return home well.

I once worked with a man who had quadruplets at home. They found it necessary to place a sign on their front door which read: "If you are sick, you are not welcome to visit us today. Please come back when you're well." He said that signed changed their lives, as in drastically reduced the number of sick days for their 4 kids. Maybe your friend would benefit from something similar. Just a thought.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/30/2015 FATCATinCT said:

I had to laugh at your post because good God, ain't it the truth!

My grandson is 10 months old and although I do not care for him on a regular basis, I do care for him when he is ill. Thankfully I am available and the parents do not want to infect the other infants at daycare so they have me watch him and boy, I have not been more sick than I have been this past year! Hubby and I call him, "little germ", lol. I've had numerous colds, pink eye and the flu. I do have to say it's all worth it, being able to snuggle him and love him up while he is sick is priceless. They grow so fast and it won't be long before they won't want to be held, etc.

Hi FATCAT,

It's incredibly generous of you and your husband to care for your grandson when he is ill. That's a real sacrifice you're making

Even when our granddaughter is ill, she's pretty much still full of energy. We have to watch her every move, because she inherited the "no fear" gene from her mom who got it from her dad. She's just beginning to become a handful in that regard.

Honored Contributor

My husbands aunt found all this to be true after a week long visit with her great grandchild at Christmas. She developed an upper respiratory infection that flared her COPD, and was sick for a month.
Esteemed Contributor

On 3/30/2015 RedTop said: My husbands aunt found all this to be true after a week long visit with her great grandchild at Christmas. She developed an upper respiratory infection that flared her COPD, and was sick for a month.

Oh, man, that's just plain awful. And, if she's on O2, then she probably could not wear a respirator to filter out organisms. COPD is a real challenge to say the least. Hopefully, she won't have another such episode.

Respected Contributor

That's just the way it is. They pick up every virus that's going around.....and share them with the adults at home. That's how they build up their immune systems. All you can do is live/eat healthy, take a multivitamin every day and become fanatic when it comes to hand washing. My "sickest" years were when my girls started pre-school.

Super Contributor

When I was a teacher, I taught at a few different schools in my long career. Each time I was transferred to a new building, I was flat out with every germ that blew my way, for a year. I built a good immune, and then I was fine.

You may just need to get through this season (it's almost over) and build up your immunity. As your grandkids become older, they too will become stronger.

Respected Contributor

On 3/30/2015 sarpy said:

My BFF just got home from the hospital after 12 months. She had an LVAD put in her heart. She was home 2 1/2 days and her grandchildren came over. This morning she is back in the hospital with the flu. Why don't their parents keep those kids at home? LVAD stands for Left ventrical assisting device. She had heart failure and this keeps her alive.

..my guess would be that kids weren't sick and your friend didn't get "the flu" from them. If she does have a virus of some sort, she probably picked it up when she was in the hospital. It takes several days for flu symptoms to kick in.

Respected Contributor

On 3/30/2015 sfnative said:
On 3/30/2015 sarpy said:

Oh my God, sarpy, I am incredibly sorry to hear this. Some parents are absolutely clueless and/or just plain stu-pid and uncaring. I pray your friend has no complications with the flu and will return home well.

I once worked with a man who had quadruplets at home. They found it necessary to place a sign on their front door which read: "If you are sick, you are not welcome to visit us today. Please come back when you're well." He said that signed changed their lives, as in drastically reduced the number of sick days for their 4 kids. Maybe your friend would benefit from something similar. Just a thought.

I hope your dear friend recovers soon, sarpy. Not knowing the ages of her grandchildren, etc., I'm thinking they went on their own or were taken to see their grandmother because she was out of the hospital and thought she would be happy to see them since she had been home for two or three days. Also, as you probably know, there is a greater risk of catching a disease or getting an infection while hospitalized than recuperating at home. She very possibly could have contracted the flu at the hospital. I have grandkids, one who just turned four. I can remember getting one cold that I'm pretty sure I caught from her but I went to their house knowing she was sick but that's different.