Super Contributor
My dad gets this & diet as others have mentioned are key. Beer is a big culprit. Along with other high purine foods, sardines, mackerel, anchovies, organ meat like kidneys, mushrooms, whole dairy, I understand these flareups are so painful, so all my best to all who deal with this.
Super Contributor

He needs a low-purine diet. In addition to meats already noted, also very important to limit beans, lentils and legumes, in general. Also, 8-12 glasses of water per day to help dilute the uric acid build-up.

One final note re cherry juice (which most definitely helps), it must be "tart", Montmorency cherry juice. No sugared versions; sugar exacerbates the problem.

Respected Contributor

Rudy, where do you get that juice? I'm wondering if it has a high carb count.

Super Contributor
On 9/4/2014 happygal said:

Rudy, where do you get that juice? I'm wondering if it has a high carb count.

You can buy it online in concentrate form at Amazon, then mix it with water. It has no added sugar, so it should at least be lower in carbs than the sugary stuff.

Honored Contributor

DH has had no more gout flare-ups since he started eating fresh cherries when they are in season....we also found at Whole Foods:Tart Cherry Ultra capsules by Enzymatic; he used those when he went out of town for work. DH figured out it was steak and the trimmings that was the trjgger for a flareup when he over-indulged in too many fatty foods in a short span of time. He still eats his cherries though because he likes them....and the rib eyes are now not so often.

Honored Contributor

BLOOD PRESSURE MEDICATION USED TO CONTRIBUTE TO MY DAD'S GOUT. WHEN HE SWITCHED MEDICATIONS, HIS GOUT WENT AWAY.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

My husband was affected in his shoulders from gout. He started taking two cherry extract pills and two celery seed extract and in two weeks was pain free. He had his blood checked and levels were back to normal. We have cut back and now he takes one cherry at night and celery in the morning. Natural and effective.

Honored Contributor

This hasn't been mentioned but has he seen his doctor for his gout? Perhaps ask his doctor to send him to a dietician. This sounds like too big a problem to try to figure out yourself.

"Pure Michigan"
Contributor

My DH has this too! Very very painful! He does most of what was mentioned here. Seems like there is no telling when this might flare up. I might have to try the capsules! Thanks!

Contributor

My husband has suffered from gout flareups since he was in his 20's. He tried following a very limited diet, avoiding all the foods that have been mentioned in this thread. Nothing helped and one time his fingers swelled so badly he had to have his ring cut off in the ER. Finally, a doctor prescribed Allopurinol, as a preventative, which he take daily (300 mg) and he does not have flareups anymore. This had improved his life dramatically.

I also noticed that he would get a bad case of gout when he was really stressed. Moving, starting a new job etc. But the Allopurinol has really helped improve the quality of his life.