Honored Contributor

Just for fun we decided after lunch to walk to Walgreens and get the over 65 flu shot...got the last two.The shot is a deep muscle shot and my left arm is experiencing flu symptoms...aches,weakness and doesn’t want to move.LOL.I guess it wants the day off but I am hauling it to the gym anyhow.The pharmacist told me that I have great biceps and look to be in good physical shape...said I made her feel like hitting the gym.Well I am inspired now.I mean she sees a lot of biceps and she thought mine looked good.I need to wear more tank tops this season.

Honored Contributor

Re: Got our flu shots yesterday

Shortly after I got my shot, I went home and did an upper-body workout with my resistance bands focusing on the arm where the shot was given. I do that every year and my arm feels normal like I never had a shot. I think by exercising the muscle, it disperses the vaccine throughout making it less likely to cause pain.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee @Oh I thought I was supposed to rest that arm to stop the spread of the flu to the rest of my body and just let it slowly work it’s way around,,,hmmm.Imwill be working out this morning so that should help.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

Shortly after I got my shot, I went home and did an upper-body workout with my resistance bands focusing on the arm where the shot was given. I do that every year and my arm feels normal like I never had a shot. I think by exercising the muscle, it disperses the vaccine throughout making it less likely to cause pain.

@dex 

@SilleeMee 

I've read this several places over the years. 

"In fact, some studies have indicated that exercising after a flu shot may improve your body's response to the vaccine by activating the immune system."

Honored Contributor

When I got my first Shingrix shot recently, the pharmacist told me to be sure to keep the arm moving.  I did a lot of exercising with it for a day or two.  It was still sorer than I experience with a flu shot, but I'm sure all the exercising helped.

Respected Contributor

@dex   We're scheduled to receive ours at work next Monday, 10/7.  The time is right before my normal noon workout, so it's good to hear that helped some people with the discomfort.  I got the 65+ last year, and it didn't hurt, but they said the last two years' shots weren't very effective but they've improved it for this year.  I'm expecting this one to hurt!

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee  My Physician's PA always reminds me to exercise that arm to avoid any soreness. I do arm rotations all the way out to the car (!) and, like you, use a resistance band when home.

Have never had any problems with flu or the Shingles vaccine after doing a few simple exercises.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BirkiLady wrote:

@SilleeMee  My Physician's PA always reminds me to exercise that arm to avoid any soreness. I do arm rotations all the way out to the car (!) and, like you, use a resistance band when home.

Have never had any problems with flu or the Shingles vaccine after doing a few simple exercises.

@BirkiLady , this is what I do, too.  I also rub the area where the shot went in, not hard, but enough to help distribute the stuff.  I think it helps, but I still have soreness sometimes.  I didn't have soreness with the shingles vaccine, but it itched for about a week after. 

Honored Contributor

I got my flu shot two weeks ago.  I barely felt the needle and didn’t have any soreness or side effects.  I just went about my day. I didn’t excercise my arms or not exercise my arms. It was just a normal day. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

We got our flu shots on Sunday and no soreness at all, which is unusual for me.