Honored Contributor

Got my notice the other day that it's time once again for the flu shot.

Not sure when I got it done last year, wonder if I should wait till it's closer for winter to come. I think I did it last year right after I got the notice. Haven't had (knock on wood) the flu in years. I will get it done. Just have to check the calendar.

Also got my first of a few 2016 calendars that will start coming in now. Hard to believe how fast a year goes anymore.

So head's up, it's getting to be that time if you get the shot too.

Honored Contributor

Re: Got my notice the other day that it's time once again for the flu shot.

I got mine the other day when I was at Target.  Got the senior dose on that day (Sept 1st).  The earliest I've ever gotten it, but it was a convenient time for me and the NP at Target.

Honored Contributor

Various places around town have been advertising flu shots for over a month, but I will wait until October to get mine.  When I worked at the hospital, we were always vaccinated in October, which gave us time to build immunity before the first flu cases started showing up in November.  Getting the flu shot too early can result in the loss of immunity towards the end of flu season, and is often when you hear people say they took the shot, but got the flu anyway.  Here in southern WV, we tend to see our first cases around Thanksgiving, more in December around Christmas, then remain steady until a big surge in March and April.   

Valued Contributor

My physician always recommends I get the flu shot in the middle of October so I'll be protected at the height of the flu season.  As a senior, I receive the extra strength shot that is specifically made for those over 65 years of age. I work as a substitute teacher, which means I work with walking germs.  docsgirl

Honored Contributor

Thanks, I'll do mid-Oct then. I want to have the shot last through the worst of the flu time. I wondered about that so I appreciate the comments. Thanks again!!

Honored Contributor

We got ours last year in late September but the drug stores here in SW Pa aren't advertising them yet this year.