Respected Contributor

I had surgery Thursday to replace the temporary spacer, home Saturday. The incision starts above my knee cap to half way down my leg, Doctor said no infection found but he had to go further down my leg to make sure.. I'm on air pumps to prevent blood clots, will start home PT next week. It feels great to be able to put my full weight on the leg instead of the 20 lb restriction. Still on the walker of course so thanks for all the well wishes and prayers.. The road to recovery is getting shorter.  I'm on a high protein low carb diet and being a type 2 diabetic it's a challenge since I am a chocoholic but I have to stick with it.  My 4 yo grandson loves stuffed animals, calls them his buddies and sleeps with them at night so I;m going to crochet him a new buddy, that will keep me busy as I recover.Woman Happy

Valued Contributor

Good News. Thanks for the update.👍👍👍❤️

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes 

WHOOO HOOO!!!

Such good news.  You have been a real 🌟.  

Now you are on on the road to recovery.

Best Wishes!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

Glad things are going so well. Take care.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the update.

I'm going in for my second knee replacement the middle of January, 2021.

So glad to hear that your procedure went smoothly and hope you have a very successful recovery from the surgery.

Best wishes!!

Esteemed Contributor

Thank God!!!

Great news

Honored Contributor

Glad you're healing well, @Goodie2shoes.  You're so brave to have gone ahead with the replacement.  Sounds like you originally had trouble, though.  

That's one of the things holding me back from having a replacement.  A couple of weeks ago, I saw a new orthopedic doctor (old one left his practice for whatever reason) and he told me that I have to realize that my knee is not going to get better so waiting was not helping.  He said that as I got older, the possibility of other health issues might come into play, making my recovery more difficult.  I'm 73 now with no health issues other than osteoarthritis.  

I just can't stand the thought of being operated on until it's a last resort.  Right now, I get by with knee injections.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

Re: Got my new right knee !

[ Edited ]

Woo hoo, @Goodie2shoes!  

I am on similar dietary restrictions and absolutely love chocolate.  Get someone to buy you a good dark chocolate bar (70% or higher) or maybe a Lily's chocolate bar which is sweetened with Stevia.  I have a square or two every day...sometimes three 🤫

Trusted Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie My Jan, 2021 left knee replacement will be my FOURTH joint replacement.  2 hips/2 knees.

ALL my replacements went very smoothly and I had no complications.  The worst part of the recovery (for me) was the nausea the post-surgery oxys cause me.  Luckily, I can get off those within a week (my experience so far).

Several years ago, someone on this forum suggested I get on the bonesmart.org website.  It's for pre-op and post-op joint replacement patients worldwide.  It's been a blessing for me to pick up all the info provided pre and post op from many, many patients going through these procedures.

Good Luck!!

Honored Contributor

Thank you, @pdlinda for sharing your health experiences.  Wow, four!  How would I get through that, lol.  

I hadn't  thought about the nausea that would happen.  I've had three  colonoscopies over the years.  The aftermath of the first one was severe nauseous.  No problem with the next two because, with the doctor's permission, I took Dramamine before I left home.  Due to motion sickness, I always have some.  The only thing that I thought about was constipation.  I hear people saying the pain meds can cause that.

I will check out the website that you mentioned.  Thank you.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)