Honored Contributor

I certainly should now be free of the eye strain I was experiencing. I was having double vision and headaches. My Rx for my readers went from 1.50 to 3.0 and my distance from 1.0 to 2.0. I was able to read easily and my vision is now corrected to 20:20. The doctor said I will experience some period of adjustment to such a radical change in my Rx but so far I can see perfectly and am quite well adjusted. This radical change in my vision happened so quickly, I had my eyes checked last year and the doctor who was there then said I did not need glasses. He felt that some of the inflammation which causes dry eye may be reduced because of the lack of eye strain, so hopefully that will be the case.

Honored Contributor

Re: Got my new glasses today...

Wonderful!  So glad you are experiencing success and enjoy your new glasses.

I wore glasses and then went into contacts (hard at the time) and wore them 20 years.  When my vision required bi-focals I did that for awhile with little glasses to read up close.  That became intolerable so I decided that I would go back to glasses.  But after 20 years of contacts I need crystal clear vision so I'm one of those who has the extra coatilng for no scratches and crystal clear vision and have been happy with the glasses....

But I also have Diabetes and am grateful I'm able to control it as my vision hasn't really changed in years....   got another check up coming up and I always cross my fingers for a good one.....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

The doctor was stumped as to why my Rx had changed so radically in just a year. 

Valued Contributor

I don't know how old you are but sometimes cataracts can get worse very quickly.  Also it can be a sign of diabetes.

Honored Contributor

One of the early signs of diabetes is rapid deterioration of vision...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nope - he said no diabetic or hypertension changes. My cataracts are only 5 to 10% - which is amazing because I take prednisone for my asthma and my old eye doc in Pittsburgh told me taking prednisone is like feeding miracle grow to cataracts. Despite that my cataracts are still a non issue. 

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Makes my decision to go with a Multi-focal iol when I had both cataract surgery several years ago. My eyes were changing by the year also, so when it was time for my surgery, I paid the out-of-pocket $1700. With the 1 Multi-focal and I know longer need glasses. Money saved and no "where did I leave my glasses". 

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

Cataracts should be taken off when they start bothering the patient.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Makes my decision to go with a Multi-focal iol when I had both cataract surgery several years ago. My eyes were changing by the year also, so when it was time for my surgery, I paid the out-of-pocket $1700. With the 1 Multi-focal and I know longer need glasses. Money saved and no "where did I leave my glasses". 

hckynut(john)

Unfortunately not everyone can do this - my DH would love to be glasses free but when he had his cataract surgery this was not an option for him. His eye issues are from him being born premature - the eye doc said there are some eye structures that are one of the final things to develop in the womb and if you are born before they develop nothing can be done later except glasses to correct the deficit. he was disappointed. Also - not all astygmatism can be corrected surgically.