Trusted Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

I got one 2 days ago.  I asked my doctor and he said it is not too early.  You can't get the flu from a shot with killed virus, which the one I got is.

You can get soreness, body aches, low grade fever, headache.  Perhaps people think it is the flu, but it is a side effect.  My arm was sore starting the night I got it and for a couple days.  Nothing was significant.

I never had one until I was diagnosed with diabetes.  It is foolish not to now.

Hyacinth

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hyacinth--your answer is spot on.

As I mentioned, I got my flu shot yesterday--the one for people 65+ and think that vaccine is stronger than what you young 'uns get--and today I do feel pretty funky. I called my insurance company's nurse and she said just about exactly what you did.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie  that was the year I go so sick...but I am still so glad I got that shot. I am sure I would have been in the hospital without ti

Honored Contributor

@cherry  I hope this year is a good one and the flu does not get out of hand.

I have never had it, nor has anyone's in my family, but I have heard that it is very intense. I don't wish it on anyone.  Let's all have a safe, healthy year.

Honored Contributor

@FuzzyFace wrote:

has anyone had any kind of reaction to their flu shot? I got immunized yesterday, with the super-duper vaccine for people over 65. Today I feel queazy and light-headed. I TRIED to find information on the internet but couldn't find anything.

@FuzzyFace, my little shoulder area is a bit sore, but it's getting better all along.

Esteemed Contributor

I asked my doctor at my appointment Monday and he said it's too soon he doesn't start giving the shot until October.

Valued Contributor

Re: Got my flu shot today

[ Edited ]

I

Honored Contributor

We got ours two weeks ago at Publix and got two $10 Publix gift cards for free!

Flu cases already being reported here in the Atlanta area. 

I’ve read a few Facebook articles in the last few days saying they’re urging people to go ahead and get them now. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

I live in the Atlanta area, and the federal Center for Disease Control reportedly is urging people to get the flu shot now.

DH and I got ours last week (and got two Publix gift cards for our trouble--LOL!!).

Literature we were given with the shot by the pharmacist says that it takes about two weeks for the shot to kick in as protection.  It's not guaranteed to guard against all flu strains, but can lessen the severity of flu.

I guess this is the best that modern medicine and science can provide against a constantly mutating range of viruses........but I figured I'd better get the shot  because I don't spend as much time at home these days and am exposed to large numbers of other people--at the gym, grocery store, etc.

Honored Contributor

Really?  The flu is here in Georgia already?  I was asked at my annual last week if I wanted it so I know the shots are available and being given.  

I'd rather have this cooler weather I remember having once upon a time rather than the flu starting early around these here parts, please.  

Respected Contributor

I'm going to the Dr. tmro for my shingles shot. I was debating the flu shot. Still unsure if I will. I have not had a shot in probably 5yrs. & have not had the flu. 

Also hoping to get something for my irritability & anxiety.