Respected Contributor

GoodRX is awesome if you have high $$$ Prescriptions!

[ Edited ]

I saw people discussing prescriptions that are going to not be covered by insurance in the future.  I also saw some talk about GoodRx.  I want to tell you about GoodRX and I am not affiliated with them at all.

I had ordered a prescription for DH from Walmart and I got a text a couple days ago it was ready and it would be $226.  YIKES!  The last time I had that particular script filled was a year ago and the price was $35.  I called WM and asked why it was so much higher than last year and they said the price went up.  I accepted that for the time being, but didn't pick it up yet. 

Yesterday morning I decided to do a search on discounted scripts.  I found Blink and it was going to be a little less than half of the $226.  I was thrilled.  I called WM and asked if they accepted BLink and they had never heard of it even though the website said they were partners of WM.  She said it was probably ok but that no one had presented it to her.  The  lady at the pharmacy at WM did tell me to check into GoodRx.  I knew that GoodRx is legitimate because the pharmacy told me lots of people use it.

Guess What???? The script was $26 INSTEAD of $226 using GoodRX.  No joke!!!  I want to give you  some tips though. 

1.  There is a paid version and from what I can tell, you don't need the paid version.  If I'm wrong, please correct me. 

2.  You can sign up for a card, but you can screen shot the information and use that until you get your card in the mail.  I actually sent my screenshot of my information through text to our pharmacy and used it the same day I signed up without even going in the store.

3.  You don't have to pay in advance with a credit card like you have to Blink.  You pick your meds up at WM, show them your card or coupon and pay the low price at WM.

4.  Since I already text my coupon, they sent me a text saying my script was ready and $26 was due.  So I'm good to go pick up my deeply discounted script.

5.  You can go there and check prices without signing up to see if it is worth it to you.

6.  You buy your script from one of the drugstores listed on GoodRX, you do not buy the drugs from GoodRX.  In otherwords GoodRX is basically like a coupon you'd use in your store. 

I can't believe this value that you get for FREE!  Please check it out.

Honored Contributor

Re: GoodRX is awesome if you have high $$$ Prescriptions!

I'll have to check and see if Publix is a partner, probably not, but I currently have all generics.  However, I used to have Rite-Aid which at least used to be a partner and I got on the app to check the price of a drug before going in.  However, when I got there they wouldn't accept the GoodRx saying it didn't work if you had insurance.  Well, I think what it was, was that they couldn't offer me the lower price BECAUSE I had insurance and pharmacists were not allowed to even tell you if there was a cheaper option.  Now, there is a federal law in place that lifts that gag and they are free to let us compare costs.

Honored Contributor

The pharmacy techs pull up GoodRX and recommended it all the time.  It's a legitimate awesome discount program.  

Honored Contributor

I use GoodRx for my thyroid medication since Ins stopped paying for it.

The price has changed each time I have filled it meaning it has gone up each time.

I got on GoodRx & kept checking the price. When it was less then I paid last refill I called Wal-Mart with the new coupon info to get a refill at that price.

You may need to check the price each time you do a refill.

I don't have a Good Rx card.

I guess the best thing to do is each time you fill a script is ask which medication can I get for the least amount of money.

Respected Contributor

I just read on GoodRX app that if the store is listed they HAVE to accept the coupons and discounts that GoodRX has. They are in a contract with the drugstores.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I'll have to check and see if Publix is a partner, probably not, but I currently have all generics.  However, I used to have Rite-Aid which at least used to be a partner and I got on the app to check the price of a drug before going in.  However, when I got there they wouldn't accept the GoodRx saying it didn't work if you had insurance.  Well, I think what it was, was that they couldn't offer me the lower price BECAUSE I had insurance and pharmacists were not allowed to even tell you if there was a cheaper option.  Now, there is a federal law in place that lifts that gag and they are free to let us compare costs.

@Icegoddess

You can use GoodRx if you have Ins.

I have been doing that since ours quit paying for my thyroid medication.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Icegoddess

You can use GoodRx if you have Ins.

I have been doing that since ours quit paying for my thyroid medication.

But my point was that before the recent legislation was signed if your insurance did cover it, but it was still cheaper to buy it out of pocket, pharmacists were not allowed to tell you this information.  There are a lot of drugs that are in the formulary, but if it's not a generic my insurance will not do a co-pay, So, theoretically it is stll covered since it is in the formulary, but I would have to pay full price for it.  But since I have insurance, the pharamacist would not be able to tell me it would be cheaper to buy it outright (or with a GoodRX coupon).  

Honored Contributor

@mima wrote:

I just read on GoodRX app that if the store is listed they HAVE to accept the coupons and discounts that GoodRX has. They are in a contract with the drugstores.

@mima. Is correct.  I had a hard time find a store that would honor GoodRx.  CVS won't let you in the door with it.  I have my own insurance for drugs but use GoodRx for prescribed meds for my dog.  Finally found Kroger-owned supermarket pharmacy thst would give a nice discount.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Both insulins that I take have a co-pay of over $2000.00 for one box of 5 pens. I use 6 boxes in 90 days for one of them. 3 boxes for the other. Thank goodness for insurance because GoodRX saves the consumer very little.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I have used Good Rx for veterinary prescriptions as well. 

Saved some serious money!

i do check to see if it’s cheaper to order a different amount. Or a different strength. Sometimes when the prescription is for 10 tablets, it can be cheaper to get 30 or 5 tablets, double strength to cut in half. Strange, but true!